well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Flattened.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flattened.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Hope your grandson recovers quickly!

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
...We’ve been pretty mask free here in Montana for awhile, but I’m going to start wearing one again. Apparently the virus that causes Croup is going around town with a vengeance and they think that’s what I have. Very serious in small children and it hasn’t been all that nice to me....Masks for me, too!

Feel better asap, Jodi!

Sorry, got a bit scrambled with the quotes but I did want to pass on some (very disturbing to me) info about this pile-up of viruses going around.

Reading about NYC, they report hospitals are exploding full all over again (even worse than the worst of COVID) - pediatrics especially. (Must be so scary for the parents of those little kids, and for the children.) It's a result of the three very contagious bugs going around at once.

What bothers me most is that apparently masks do NOT protect against this ramped up old respiratory virus. You all have been speaking of going back to more rigorous mask wearing, but it appears that they don't help ward off the respiratory virus.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I had to cancel the flight I was supposed to take to visit mom today. (She’s not doing very well).

Sorry to hear about your mom, jodi. Hope she rallies. Hope I'm not intruding here, but do I remember that she is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's?

I'm asking because my mother "going on a hundred" - April) is, and although her body is almost distressingly resilient her mind is definitely not.
Speaking to my niece recently while she was visiting her (Mom raised her for several years), she and I discussed considerations in visiting Mom in her present state. Niece and I spoke of whether she got anything out of it (scarcely, if at all, recognizing people and if so, forgetting within minutes).

Also, the issue of how one wanted to remember her (and how - knowing her - she would probably have preferred to be remembered). It's a legitimate question especially as she declines ever more.

In other words, what are the pros and cons of visiting a seriously demented relative, especially when the trip is particularly onerous.
(Flying for me has gotten extremely hard for a number of reasons, including mobility impairment.) If I got laid over on one of the stops I'm forced to make from my airport of origin, I don't know what I'd do. Snow is coming.

But perhaps your mother is more "with it" and is suffering at present more from a physical decline.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My mom has some sort of dementia, and is declining. She is still living at home (and I don’t know how much longer that will be possible), in the care of her husband. She doesn’t always know who I am (though knows we were “close”) - and she definitely doesn’t know my husband or kids anymore. It’s a pretty horrible way to go. Frightening for family, because you feel like disaster is imminent - a fall, or getting lost outside- something terrible like that. Combine that with the emotional reaction of the dementia patient when you try to do what you have to do to keep them safe - it sometimes feels like there is no good way to get through it all.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Been there, and can totally relate to how difficult it is.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your mom. Jodi. Dementia is just so difficult and heartbreaking.

By the way, I took a home Covid test this morning. Thankfully negative. But my daughter tested positive today, and feels lousy.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
If a co. here has a policy its employees wear masks, they still don't.

Pharmacists don't even wear them. WTH.

Joe, sorry to hear about your daughter and grandson. I'm sending healing thoughts.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My pcr test came back negative. Went back into the clinic this morning becuase my throat is still so sore and my cough is pretty bad, they’ve put me on steroids. Basically, I’ve got croup! Looking forward to feeling better soon…

Smiler Jodi

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Frowner Frowner Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yuck, Jodi. I hope the steroids knock it out.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Jodi, glad it's not Covid. Hope you'll be back to normal soon!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find anything about masking not working with RSV, but read that it does linger on surfaces longer than COVID.

https://www.king5.com/article/...05-9d1f-69c4c76fba50

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope you are recovering and ready to go soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yikes! I hope you recover quickly!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
On Netflix, Grace and Frankie.

If you haven’t seen it, you WILL like it. Bonus that there are many seasons.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post