well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Any of you have a range with double ovens? Update, It finally got here!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of you have a range with double ovens? Update, It finally got here!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Who makes Kenmore:

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

People had been saying they had to wait weeks/months to get their desired model. What's the lead time on delivery for your new unit? Should we be looking for new Instant Pot recipes for you? Big Grin

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The range was probably put in when the house was built, so it’s at least 15 years old (though it feels like it should have lasted longer than that - heck, in our first house the original cooktop and oven were still going strong - and they were at least 30 years old!)

Steve was starting to show me how to used the gas camp stoves on the back patio when we both remembered we actually had this sitting in the cabinet Big Grin

So this, plus the microwave and the instant pot (which I use regularly) will be fine.

Here’s the issue with ordering from Costco - the delivery truck company that they contract with to bring it is the problem, we recently ordered a new TV for Steve’s home “office” (which is his fly-tying and gaming room) and it took 3 or 4 weeks for them to get it here - you have to stay home waiting, and the first scheduled delivery day they just didn’t show up, which was super frustrating - The TV sat in a warehouse about 3 hours away from here for a long time. So we will probably have the same issue with the range. I’m sure gas prices, and inability to get enough drivers for their trucks don’t help. (We don’t have a Costco here, the closest one is an hour away in Perri’s town)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, we had the delivery problem when we replaced the appliances in our vacation home in Door County. Closest Best Buy and Home Depot are in Green Bay, an hour and a half away. We replaced the frig and the gas range and they were delivered by two separate outfits.

The frig was a no brainer, take out the old one and plug in the new one (no ice maker to connect). The range, OTOH, needed to be converted from natural gas to propane. The guy who did the install also did the delivery. And he told me good luck with a Samsung range. No local people want to touch them, especially for warranty work, because Samsung's customer service is awful. He was from Green Bay and a service call would have been beaucoup expensive.

By some miracle I was able to schedule the deliveries on two consecutive days and get everything done in one trip up there. First available dates were a month out.

Buying these units introduced me to the challenges of living in a more remote area. I live 15 minutes away from Abt, the huge electronics and appliance store. I've gotten spoiled....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:

The damage looks like arcing at a connection that loosened at the lug on the black conductor of the connecting cord. Replacing the terminal block and cord could have been cheaper that buying a new range.

A small quibble. Given that a four wire circuit with separate neutral and ground conductors was run to that range, the jumper at the terminal block connecting the neutral and ground together should have been removed.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7365 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good catch!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Well, crow is on the menu today. We just bought a GE Cafe dual fuel double oven range. Turned out we would have had to put in a 120 outlet for the single oven anyway, so it reduced the extra cost of the double.

In any event, we pulled the plug on the kitchen remodel. It was creeping up past $40K and our investments have crept down a whole lot more than that. So I'm going to paint the cabinets and walls again and change the hardware out and just live with it. The house has enough cool stuff that the kitchen won't be a deal breaker anyway.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13507 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry you don’t get to do your remodel. But I’m sure your kitchen will look great with the new paint and hardware. Our range delivery has now been pushed back to June 20th!! So I guess we’ll be practicing camping meals on Steve’s vintage stoves on the patio and trying out those Coleman ovens that sit on the burners til then.

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks. We were not changing the layout or flooring at all, so $40K started looking a bit dear for what we were getting.

Bear in mind we only had 16 cabinets. It was working out to more than $1000 per. And that's just for the cabinet. installation was going to be more.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bear in mind we only had 16 cabinets. It was working out to more than $1000 per.

Whoa. Which cabinet company?

And just curious, did you consider/look at IKEA?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah. They didn't have anything we wanted.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I never looked into the alternatives, but there are companies that make doors that work with the IKEA cabinets. Not sure how much it affects the price. Like this one..

https://www.semihandmade.com/

I think there are quite a few of these outfits….

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Are induction stove tops selling? They are supposed to be as fast or nearly
as fast as gas.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25655 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The stove was finally delivered - and I realized I neglected to think about the fact that the old stove had the knobs on the back (and so the granite backspash didn’t go all the way across. So I guess I’ll be doing a little art project this summer - maybe another mosaic, maybe some handmade tiles (maybe just some paint and live with it like this for awhile, lol) Also, (just like Steve and Big Al said) the guys who installed it said no wonder it shorted, it’s wired wrong, how long has is been like this, and we said - probably since the contractor who built the place in 2007 put it in… I guess we are lucky it lasted that long. I didn’t like that stove that much anyway, the oven door kept coming apart, and the way it vented sent steam up ruined the finish behind some of the knobs. Time will tell if I like this one better. It’s got Wi-Fi, which means I can check to see if I remembered to turn it off 15 minutes after we leave on a trip! Now just need a Wi-Fi coffee maker… Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Maybe do a special stained glass of artsy plexiglass project for that special place where the old oven knobs used to be? Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Can you get a piece of granite compatible in appearance with the existing countertops/backsplash? I'd definitely put something there that is resistant to heat. We've had a scorched spot on the laminate backsplash behind our cooktop that occurred when heating a pressure canner. The cook top is gas so the flames spread out from under the canner, something that wouldn't occur with an electric range, but there are still ways to bring something hot in close proximity to the backsplash.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7365 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post