well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Any of you have a range with double ovens? Update, It finally got here!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of you have a range with double ovens? Update, It finally got here!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
My stove just died (tripped the circuit breaker twice) right in the middle of cooking something for people who will arrive for lunch shortly..

Would really like the new one to have two ovens, wonder if any of you have one like that?

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
There’s gas double ovens and there’s electric double ovens. If electric, then check its electrical requirements. If the oven requires a 220 Volt outlet and your kitchen’s outlets are all 110 Volts, then you’ll need some electrical rewiring work done.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have separate units for cooktop and oven so I've never had a range with two ovens.

At one point, I did have a double oven unit built into a cabinet but found I didn't use the second oven very often, so we nixed it when we redesigned the kitchen.

So now we have a single built-in oven and a countertop oven (Instant Omni). I end up using the countertop oven much more than I ever expected to. It heats up a lot faster than the full-size oven and is perfect for the smaller meals that I cook for the two of us.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Ditto. We have a gas range top, and beside it we have a double electric oven.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We had a double gas freestanding range/oven when we bought the last house - an “eye level” deal. They don’t make those any more.

What I remember is that the upper oven was wildly unstable as far as temp. I don’t know how good the new freestanding ones are but it would be worth looking at reviews.

Another thing to look at will be the electricity requirements. A range with two ovens may require a larger circuit than what you have now.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
There’s gas double ovens and there’s electric double ovens. If electric, then check its electrical requirements. If the oven requires a 220 Volt outlet and your kitchen’s outlets are all 110 Volts, then you’ll need some electrical rewiring work done.

I presently have a gas double oven in the kitchen. It is not part of a range as I have a separate counter-top cooktop.

I have a problem that I haven't been able to solve with the electronic control for the top oven. I replaced the temperature sensor for that oven, but that didn't fix the problem (intermittant error code on the control). I've thought about a new oven, but I cannot find anyone who manufactures a 24 inch wide double gas oven anymore.

If you know where such an oven can be purchased, I'd like to know.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7380 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Electric is more common than gas, and I think the largest selection is in the 30 inch width. But....

Not sure what the opening size (height) is on your cabinet, and whether you need two ovens or are willing to give one up. I did find a 24" single gas oven with what looks like a storage drawer on the bottom. Comes in black, white, or stainless:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/f...2657.p?skuId=6262657

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Double ovens are nice if they are in the wall. We're looking at a new range now, and seriously looked at double oven models. The problem with them is you get two small ovens instead of one large one, and the larger one is down below, making it harder on older backs.

We're going with a GE Cafe dual fuel single oven. I just don't think we would use the double enough to justify the difficulty or the expense. If things need to be cooked at 300 and 400, it's easy enough to cook them both at 350 and adjust the time accordingly.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have something like this: one appliance with one smaller oven stacked on top of a bigger oven (and the range is stacked on top of the smaller oven). The bigger oven is big enough to, say, cook a good sized Thanksgiving turkey. The smaller oven is only big enough to, say, bake a pizza or some pork chops or fish filets. I think I have only used the bottom/larger oven once -- to cook a Thanksgiving turkey; it's used mostly as storage for some pots and pans. But the upper/smaller oven is used probably more than once a week on average, basically anything that cannot fit into the toaster oven (a separate appliance) is delegated to this upper/smaller oven.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
You can see the black mark on the wall where it went boom (twice) Eeker And it’s all melty.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And Mr. Jodi already ordered a new range - The Double LG one that consumer reports recommended. - hopefully I’ll like it and be ok with the bigger oven being low. We’ll see.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Also - This house was built in 2007, I am assuming the 220 outlet is enough for a double oven range?

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Also - This house was built in 2007, I am assuming the 220 outlet is enough for a double oven range?

Probably not a great idea to assume.

Post the electrical requirements for the new unit ( or make and model) and a picture of the circuit breaker for your old range and I’ll offer an opinion.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Who's the manufacturer of the unit that self-destructed? Inquiring minds....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The old range is a Kenmore. The new one (that we ordered from Costco) is an LG LTE4815ST

Smiler Jodi