well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Would You Fly On A Max?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would You Fly On A Max?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Nope, not me.

I checked Seat Guru to make sure that the flight I have on Friday is not on a 737-MAX. It's not.

I have not the slightest bit of anxiety about flying in general. But when brand new planes start falling out of the sky, I feel like I have to take extra precautions.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I literally just checked my next set of flights too! (Not on a Max, whew)

I'm with you Cindy, I'm already scared to fly, I don't need any additional reasons.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Already have.

Here's me raving about it 15 months ago. I was on a plane and it seemed so new I actually googled the plane type (while sitting there on the tarmac). It was a 737 Max 8, maybe 2 weeks after American got their first delivery.

https://www.tapatalk.com/group...7-max-8-t107162.html

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We may be. Not worried.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
March 5 I flew Southwest Airlines on two flights to Tucson.
The aeroplanes were 737s. Don't know if they were Max 8.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
March 5 I flew Southwest Airlines on two flights to Tucson.
The aeroplanes were 737s. Don't know if they were Max 8.

I just checked, they fly 737-700s on that route.

But they do have 34 Max 8s. Not sure where they use them.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Already have.

Here's me raving about it 15 months ago. I was on a plane and it seemed so new I actually googled the plane type (while sitting there on the tarmac). It was a 737 Max 8, maybe 2 weeks after American got their first delivery.

I wonder if it was one of the planes that later crashed.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
No, it was AA. (Southwest and AA are the major operators of them in the US.) The ones that crashed were from Malaysia(?) and Ethiopia.

The plane is new but there are lots of them out there already. It's a huge seller for Boeing.

(of course the 737 has been around a long time, but the Max 8 is a newish model)

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I believe I flew on an 8 a few months ago.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
In November, the FAA issued an Airworthiness Directive saying that the Angle of Attack sensors could give false readings, potentially causing flight into terrain.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've checked our flights for this week and they're not Maxes. The flight next week probably isn't, but I'm having trouble finding the flight number so haven't been able to check it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I rarely look up or remember the aircraft's model when I fly.
So I will just remain obliviously sanguine when I fly.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I dunno, Ax. In the Lion Air crash, the pilots were pulling up on the stick with *100 pounds of pressure* and still couldn't bring the nose up.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
No way would I board one of these right now. https://www.dallasnews.com/bus...uspected-safety-flaw

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
In November, the FAA issued an Airworthiness Directive saying that the Angle of Attack sensors could give false readings, potentially causing flight into terrain.

One of the networks displayed a timeline with the angle of ascent and descent. It went up nice and gradual like any airliner then dropped straight down. Like a rock. You would expect some sort of glide path with most any aircraft. Not this one. It was perpendicular to the ground. That indicates not just failure but catastrophic failure. Like bomb.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post