well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Biden selection down to four?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden selection down to four?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
""The colonoscopy of the vetting is now occurring," a Democratic official involved in the process said, speaking on condition of anonymity to adhere to the privacy surrounding the selection."
CNN

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
CNN spoke to more than a dozen people close to the Biden search process who believe that four of the leading prospects are Sen. Kamala Harris of California, Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Rep. Val Demings of Florida and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

popcorn

I may be biased because we're practically neighbors, but I like Mayor Bottoms a lot!!

I know nothing about Rep. Demings. I need to learn more about Sen. Harris.

I would be very happy with Sen. Warren because I think she's got a lot of energy and a head full of policy and could come in "kicking ass and taking names." And she would help push Biden to the left, which I like. But... I wonder if she'd be divisive enough to be a bad influence on the campaign?

Ultimately, I would like to see a woman of color on the ticket, and I know a lot of people are advocating for that.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Of these, only a Harris is acceptable.

Does anyone remember the Baltimore mayor who is in jail right now for a scheme to trade influence for children’s books?

Why on earth take a chance on a mayor? She may be smart, but you need familiarity during debates with foreign policy. You’d be risking a Palin moment

Demings was a cop. This will turn off progressives with no commensurate appeal to the law and order crowd.

Those two are not ready to be president if Bide. Catches the virus at the inauguration.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Agree with every point. I would not risk taking on a person who had not demonstrated foreign policy chops. And the VP choice needs to have been thoroughly vetted in prior campaigns. Statewide elections for Senators tend to be more brutal, on average, so Senators are safer than newbie mayors and members of the House. Senators also tend to have more foreign policy experience than governors. Buttigieg is the exception to these claims, not the rule.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And these two really are newbies. Mayor of Atlanta for two years? I have one question: Can she see Cuba from her house?

I very much hope Bottoms runs for governor very soon.

Buttigieg is awesome also, but no one would have considered him for vp had he not done so well in the national spotlight.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buttigieg is awesome also, but no one would have considered him for vp had he not done so well in the national spotlight.

Indeed, and for all the reasons you mention. But he did run, and he did show that he has the chops. Bottoms has no such experience, and no evidence from her background that she could walk into the oval office and command the respect of the world. In ten years, who knows.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Here’s another reason to not pick bottoms: her kids’ names.

Lincoln, Lance, Langston, Lennox Bottoms.

Ooof.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And There is the little matter of city funds being used to pay for her husbands first class flight to the Super Bowl. She got caught and had to repay it.

Just. No.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Ooof.

What the L??

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Each one is on the list for the weakest of justifications.

I don’t like candidates chosen for gender. I don’t like candidates chosen for race. I like candidates chosen on the basis of performance and the basis of competence.

We’re doomed.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Ooof.

What the L??

Lol.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I share Cindy’s concerns about Demond’s and Bottoms. They may be great but I don’t see how Biden’s team can figure that out in a few weeks.

She didn’t state her objections to Warren but whatever they are they’re fine with me. lol

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Elizabeth Warren is a personal favorite, but the moment calls for a black woman.

Keisha Bottoms has actually run something. She speaks impressively and with passion, she's from a swing state, she can get out the black vote.

She's my pick.

Demings would be OK, but I'm not sure she's the same quality of public speaker.

Harris just leaves me "meh". OK, a safe choice, but she doesn't excite me the way Bottoms does.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In a prior post, on a different topic, you said you didn't want to take too much risk. Apparently you feel differently about defeating Trump ... Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
In a prior post, on a different topic, you said you didn't want to take too much risk. Apparently you feel differently about defeating Trump ... Smiler

I think I might just perceive the risks differently. I want turnout. I think Bottoms generates more turnout than Harris. And I'm not sure that Warren will be acceptable to the ... well, the people who for whatever reason don't like Warren. Plus, she's older, and that doesn't intersect well with Biden's age.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post