well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Buh-bye Maddie

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buh-bye Maddie
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61488082

Not a moment too soon.

I was worried that with eight candidates, he’d come out ahead of any one of them… and it might be unlikely a Dem could beat him in solid red NC.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Is North Carolina solid red? I thought I'd seen that the Senate seat is a potential Dem pickup opportunity.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Apparently Dr. Oz and the other wacko's (just not quite as wacko and not endorsed by you know who) race is too close to call. I'd LOVE to see Oz go down, totally unqualified and a known medical quack to boot.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Apparently Dr. Oz and the other wacko's (just not quite as wacko and not endorsed by you know who) race is too close to call. I'd LOVE to see Oz go down, totally unqualified and a known medical quack to boot.

You forgot to mention that he doesn't actually live in the state for which he is running for senate. He is using his in-laws address and claiming he now lives with them instead of in the million dollar mansion he has lived in for years and still owns in NJ.

The thing about Oz is that despite having Trump's endorsement, the Trumpsters are deeply suspicious of him....they think he's part of the hollywood liberal elite. And I do think he's more moderate than the other wacko, so he might actually win over some centrists but at the same time, he has a solid group of haters among the diehard Trumpies that could work in the Dems favor. I do kinda wish the 3rd place woman would have won - she's from around here and she's awful awful awful - probably never could have carried the general. I think Oz or the other guy (McCormick) have a better shot unfortunately.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Is North Carolina solid red? I thought I'd seen that the Senate seat is a potential Dem pickup opportunity.
Good Q. I don't know. I've just been seeing in the news that whoever wins the republican primary in Maddie's district is a shoe-in in the general.

But, maybe he could have gotten what Roy Moore did.

Many years ago in Washington State, a woman named Ellen Craswell ran for governor. She took every opportunity to say that her allegiances were first to (her) God, second to her family, and third to the State and its laws. She ran in a primary field of about 10 other candidates who were all nearly identical slices of white bread. She got more votes in the primary than any other one candidate because she was the one who stuck out like a sore thumb. She got creamed in the general.

But it was a lesson in dilution of the primary. In a large field of mostly shades of grey, the one oddball wins. Heck, if Kasich and Rubio had bowed out in 2016, Cruz probably would have gotten the nomination instead of the great orange menace. Maybe not. But it would have been worth putting your political career on hold for a couple years to save the country from the disaster that was the I-1 occupation.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
NC is purple in general elections. Its assembly is thoroughly gerrymandered to generate a large GOP majority. Dems are packed into overwhelmingly blue districts around the cities, and suburbs are packaged with rural areas (where KKK sentiment is normal) to create a cherry-red legislature. Current governor is a Democrat.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
For me, Oz has already demonstrated that he's willing to say (lie) about anything for a buck. Perhaps I should take a more pragmatic look and make a determination based on whether he's someone who might play well with others, but I can't--particularly as he's an educated man and I'm pretty sure he knew what he was saying was, at best, highly misleading.

Dr. Oz shouldn't be a senator or a doctor

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

You forgot to mention that he doesn't actually live in the state for which he is running for senate. He is using his in-laws address and claiming he now lives with them instead of in the million dollar mansion he has lived in for years and still owns in NJ.

And he also owns an $18MM mansion in Palm Beach.
How DOES it work legally is terms of how a candidate declares his/her home state or residence?

I'm sure there are a lot of tax ramifications, based on number of days worked (however defined) in each state, and I'd think the state of residence would be at least as strictly defined when it comes to elections.

I find him sickening too, but I don't know which candidate to wish wins in the primaries (of those three in PA - not that they have equal chances of winning, including the laggard). I guess, it's as Lisa says that either of the two (tied as of now) front runners are about equally likely/unlikely to win the PA senate seat. Ugh ugh ugh.

Speaking as someone with many Turkish family and friends, I think it's fascinating that running as a Republican, he retained his Islamic affiliation.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I didn't know that. Mad

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
quote:

And he also owns an $18MM mansion in Palm Beach.
How DOES it work legally is terms of how a candidate declares his/her home state or residence?

I'm sure there are a lot of tax ramifications, based on number of days worked (however defined) in each state, and I'd think the state of residence would be at least as strictly defined when it comes to elections.

I find him sickening too, but I don't know which candidate to wish wins in the primaries (of those three in PA - not that they have equal chances of winning, including the laggard). I guess, it's as Lisa says that either of the two (tied as of now) front runners are about equally likely/unlikely to win the PA senate seat. Ugh ugh ugh.

Speaking as someone with many Turkish family and friends, I think it's fascinating that running as a Republican, he retained his Islamic affiliation.

How does one decide one’s state of residence? It didn’t work for Nicholas Kristof. He was planning to run for the governor here in Oregon, but a judge ruled that he didn’t qualify for the residency period. rejected

Oz is a slimy quack.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post