well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tulsa's Greenwood Race Massacre

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tulsa's Greenwood Race Massacre
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Piece on 60 Minutes last night.. I was amazed to learn that native Tulsans were unaware of what happened

quote:
The death of a black man at the hands of police is, today, shouted into the national memory.

But in 1921, it remained possible to erase a genocide.

Congregant: I grew up attending segregated Tulsa public schools. Never in any of the schools was anything ever said about it.

The congregation of Vernon AME Church is two generations beyond 1921 but they too were victimized.

Scott Pelley: this was not taught in the public schools?

Congregant: No.

Scott Pelley: You never heard about this in class?

Congregant: You never heard a word about it.

Damario Solomon-Simmons: When I went to OU in 1998, I was sitting in a class of African American history. And the professor was talking about this place where black people had businesses and had money and had doctors and lawyers. And he said it was in Tulsa. And I raised my hand, I said, "No, I'm from Tulsa. That's not accurate." And he was talking about this massacre riot. I said, "Man, what are you talking about?" I said, "I went to school on Greenwood. I've never heard of this ever."

Tulsa World has a link to the 60 Minutes segment, plus a lot of other print information about the massacre.

Well worth some time to watch and read.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/new...ee-7f73da6f3c85.html

If you don't have time to watch the video, the transcript is here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/g...-minutes-2020-06-14/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
A number of my colleagues are doing research on the Tulsa Race Massacre. There are archaeologists doing remote sensing work to find the mass graves, archivists are working with our Western History collection, and such.

We also have a program called the Dream Course, where professors propose a course with interdisciplinary interest. It must be an undergraduate course and it must fit into the Gen Ed curriculum. A handful of Dream Courses are chosen per semester, and those chosen get a substantial budget--$15,000 or $20,000, I think--to bring in speakers for events that are open to all. Three of my colleagues, two of them friends of mine, proposed and won a Dream Course for this fall on the Tulsa Race Massacre. If they delay the events until it's safe to go, I'll be there.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The Tulsa World has just published a special section on the race massacre. There is also a link to other coverage.

Tulsa World on the Tulsa Race Massacre

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
One of my archaeologist colleagues did an interview for 60 Minutes about the use of remote sensing to find mass graves from the race massacre.

60 Minutes interview

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I had never, ever heard of the Tulsa Race Massacre until, coincidentally, about 2 months ago. I happened upon a podcast about it, which I listened to on a long drive. How is it that this isn't part of the normal US history curricula? That was a rhetorical question, in much the same way as the typical history class on the civil war (including college classes) ends up with a passing mention of Reconstruction and Jim Crow laws, but ultimately teaches (through omission) that the slaves were freed and everyone lived happily ever after.

My daughter and I were discussing it--in her relatively good high school, they spent less than a week on the Civil War, with the take away being Slavery Bad, Lincoln Good.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hal Singer, jazz musician and survivor.

Sorry, it's a WaPo article. Couldn't find a non-paywall alternative, but if one crops up I'll post it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...-singer-trump-rally/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ten badly decayed coffins apparently laid in pairs in a trench decades ago have been found in Oaklawn Cemetery, officials said Wednesday.

A research team searching for unmarked burials from Tulsa’s 1921 Race Massacre said the discovery is consistent with reports that 18 Black men killed on May 31-June 1, 1921, were buried in Oaklawn.

The researchers said the arrangement of the coffins meets the definition of a mass grave, although they can’t say for certain that the burials are connected to the massacre.

And it might be awhile before they can.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/lo...0a-e7bbbfbf616f.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My former graduate assistant is married to an Oklahoma journalist of some renown, Ben Fenwick, who broke a big story related to Timothy McVeigh after the OKC bombing. He recently published a book on the bombing.

He's a frequent contributor to the NYT, and he wrote this piece on the bodies found in Tulsa related to the race massacre.

Mass Grave Unearthed in Tulsa

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I find myself wondering how a President Trump would have handled this horrifying massacre.

"There are fine people on both side".

Highlighting the black attempt at self-defense as it it were equal in strength.

Emphasizing the culpability of those few who were lynched early on as if they were serious criminals, deserved what they got.

Minimizing or failing to report the depredation of the white mobs on the Greenwood neighborhoods, including how the white firemen were held back from putting out the flames early on (which would have prevented the mass destruction).

But now we're getting into Fox News territory...

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I learned of it this summer, it was mentioned due to the Trump rally in Tulsa being scheduled for June nineteenth.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post