well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Aid cut to Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aid cut to Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In a stunning about-face, State Department officials said that President Donald Trump is cutting off all direct assistance to the so-called Northern Triangle countries of El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala.

“At the Secretary’s instruction, we are carrying out the President’s direction and ending FY [fiscal year] 2017 and FY 2018 foreign assistance programs for the Northern Triangle,” a State Department spokesperson told ABC News, referring to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. “We will be engaging Congress as part of this process.”

These three countries are the primary source of migrants to the U.S., but for years the U.S. has worked with them to stabilize their political environments and economies and end violence and corruption so that migrants wouldn’t leave in the first place.

Trump hinted at the cuts earlier on Friday, telling reporters,”I’ve ended payments to Guatemala, to Honduras, and to El Salvador. No money goes there anymore.”

While the president has threatened these cuts before, this time the administration is actually following through.

Trump said the funds totaled $500 million, but it wasn’t clear Friday if that figure was accurate. The State Department announced in December that the U.S. would mobilize $5.8 billion in public and private american investment to these three countries.

“We’re not paying them anymore because they haven’t done a thing for us,” he added.

Once again cutting the legs out from under his own people:

quote:
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was in Mexico and Honduras this week meeting with their leadership to sign new partnership agreements. Pompeo testified before the House of Representatives on Wednesday about the administration's efforts, saying the president had instructed him and Nielsen to use U.S. funding to "develop a set of programs that reward effective outcomes, that reward good leadership, that get us to a place where we actually achieve the outcomes."

In a speech in Brazil last June, Vice President Mike Pence touted the “significant resources” the administration was putting toward this effort, though much of those resources were allocated under former President Barack Obama’s administration.

“The United States of America has never been more committed to strengthening our partnership with the nations in the Northern Triangle to help ... tackle the problems facing our shared neighborhood,” Pence said in October when hosting leaders from the Northern Triangle and Mexico at the State Department with Pompeo.

Trump's previous threats to pull the plug, however, had often left U.S. officials scratching their heads and straining to explain why these funds described as key to stemming migration would be cut off -- as punishment for not stemming migration.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...la/story?id=62051082

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37829 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
He wants more people at the border to justify his wall?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25689 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Having been to Honduras many times over the last 12 years or so....

Duh..All I can say is that he just made the problem even worse...

Last time I was there there was much publicity on TV, in the airport..discouraging travel to the north..all paid for by the US.

All along I have felt that if the US was more helpful and invested more in the current government (with oversight to prevent corruption), fewer folks would feel the need to come north...NO one wants to leave their home...until things just get to be too much.

Japan and China invest in the triangle countries..but they are doing the basics..mostly water projects...

Folks often do not have water, electricity or food..let alone work...If I were them I would move north as well...

Cutting them off just makes the problem worse.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, see the thread I posted called the 7000 mile journey.

People are desperate.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37829 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Yea, see the thread I posted called the 7000 mile journey.

People are desperate.

I don't need to read articles..

I have gotten a desperate call on my cell from parent whose 17 year old, in trying to cross, was kidnapped by the Zetas...The Mom had already paid but needed another $3K.

Another beloved managed to come across (at the height of parent separation) and lives here with a small child (who I have had a crazy wonderful video chat with! He now has his beloved backpack and attends school. Smiler)

These are real people...If I were to put myself in the same place, I would do the same.

We all are in the same life, with the same goals...to make things better for our children...

Why is it ok to flee Venezuela while not from Honduras, parts of Guatemala? The living conditions are much the same, sometimes worse.

I would add that the people fleeing are some the most hard working you will ever meet..just sayin.

At the base of our Lady Liberty, in part...

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
What percentage of the audience even noticed?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
What ... like New Mexico, Old Mexico, and Alta California?

Posts: 12519 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There is no overarching policy other than spite. This could really bite us. I'm surprised at how little news there is regarding Venezuela, and Putin's providing military assistance. This should be GOP red meat. Instead, it's been almost a week and all we've heard from the WH is that Trump "might" speak to Putin about it.

IMO, the wheels are close to coming off the foreign affairs bus. It's no surprise that Putin feels he can fly troops into Venezuela with no repercussions.

Posts: 35370 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
What ... like New Mexico, Old Mexico, and Alta California?

Maybe somebody misspelled 'mesoamerican'.

Yeah. That's what happened.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post