well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Theresa May resigns
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theresa May resigns
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Theresa May has bowed to intense pressure from her own party and named 7 June as the day she will step aside as Conservative leader, drawing her turbulent three-year premiership to a close.

https://www.theguardian.com/po...-conservative-brexit

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Good riddance.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
She stepped up and tried, where many (all?) who perpetuated Brexit ran away from any responsibility after the Brexit referendum passed. For that alone, Theresa May deserves respect.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, which Trump-like character will take her place? Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson?

Boris does have that hair thing going on.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
She was very emotional about it. I've always thought she was stuck in a no-win scenario. Whether someone else will be able to find a path, or by force of will drag people down a path, is an open question.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Total no win situation. I’ll bet the next person fails too.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'd bet five quid that if it were put to a popular vote again, they would vote not to brexit.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I agree with that, Pj.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
OMG...Half my work team are in the UK...They had predicted this and live in fear of Boris coming in.

They have been working so hard to prepare for Brexit and all that is has to bring to our business, not to mention GDPR General Data Protection Regulation)...

And agree with PJ...the folks I work with feel like they were lied to during the election.

What a nightmare not to mention how much it is costing businesses to prepare for it only to be delayed...Crikey!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I'd bet five quid that if it were put to a popular vote again, they would vote not to brexit.

I would bet that was the government's intention all along.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

I would bet that was the government's intention all along.

Do you mean the government's intention was for the referendum to fail or that they intend to have a second vote?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Both. I think the former preceded that latter, which only came about when it became a possibility. I'm not convinced the government had any real intention of honoring the referendum.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. I don't think the government had any real intention of honoring the referendum.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The entire notion of Brexit was sold to the voters based on immigration, nostalgia and false promises (like saying a vote for brexit would mean more money for things like the national health service, which was completely false). Now you have the Brexiteers taking a hard line and refusing to support any attempt at a "soft" Brexit, and pretty much every conservative not liking the Irish backstop. Hello, stalemate.

In the meantime, a small but consistent majority of voters wants to cancel the entire Brexit referendum and remain in the EU.

Yep, Theresa May was doomed, and I don't see anyone else taking her place.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post