well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No one wants your used clothes any more

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No one wants your used clothes any more
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
quote:
For decades, the donation bin has offered consumers in rich countries a guilt-free way to unload their old clothing. In a virtuous and profitable cycle, a global network of traders would collect these garments, grade them, and transport them around the world to be recycled, worn again, or turned into rags and stuffing.

Now that cycle is breaking down. Fashion trends are accelerating, new clothes are becoming as cheap as used ones, and poor countries are turning their backs on the secondhand trade. Without significant changes in the way that clothes are made and marketed, this could add up to an environmental disaster in the making.

It's a problem.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
They are still collecting them locally. Especially good things for cold weather.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
No question - true of a lot of things we purchase - many more than needed.

I live in a 100 year old house. Closets are modest - with the notion that a person had only a very modest wardrobe - maybe Sunday set of clothes, a couple of sets of work clothes and perhaps 1-2 things for casual wear.

Great grandparents would be shocked to see the variety of clothes we have.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Will read later. But years ago, heard that donated clothing was hurting craftspeople in poor countries. Yes, it's a problem...even worse now, I guess.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big source of the problem. I can keep a T-shirt for two decades. My annual purchase of new clothing is miniscule. Fish takes second hand clothes in our area, so that "aftermarket" still exists for local use. People in need because of poverty, or because their house burned down are still grateful for the help.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Like P*D, I'm not clothes horse. Don't have a need for fancy duds and like my Dad used to be, I am perfectly comfortable putzing around the house in mended clothes that are showing their age.

The whole time I was growing up I was such a disappointment to my fashion conscious mother. Big Grin

The lack of demand for the used clothes is a bummer, though I guess it's a sign of improving conditions if people are not so desperate that they'll take anything and can choose to be fussy about what they wear if they think it's not fashionable!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think there is always a demand for "nice," vintage clothes. That old novelty t-shirt? not so much.

Mr. Nina and I don't do much in the way of clothes shopping/buying. I'm not a fashionista, and Mr. Nina literally has a pair of 40 year old sandals. Seriously. The soles must be made of steel. He got them in Israel in the mid 70s. Big Grin

It helps that our work doesn't require much. Mr. Nina needs to sometimes wear suits, but a suit is a suit. He gets pretty standard ones (navy, blank, a small pinstripe) and wears them for years. I no longer work in a "power" job, so I can go to work in a pair of jeans, shirt/sweater and a blazer and be fine 99% of the time.

My daughter would be more of a fashionista if she could afford it. My son would happily wear the same pair of pants and black t-shirt every day if he could get away with it.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The cheap material and construction of many clothes is a huge problem. Most clothes are not built to last at all, and it's very frustrating. I don't need to be "fashionable" but I need to look appropriate and occasionally need to be more dressy. It can be very hard to find reasonably priced women's clothes that look nice, are comfortable and are built to last more than one season.

VeryAngry

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Our local Goodwill takes everything. No doubt some of the clones don't make it to the stores, but I think they are recycled.

In high school I worked in a felt factory. Old clothes were ground to shreds and the result shoveled into a machine that turned it into felt.

Don't know if that is still operative.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post