well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Don in ICU
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don in ICU
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
It was something I could not grasp at a younger age, but from my current perspective I get it.

I wish you and Don peace.

Yes

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. You are in my thoughts.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it Chas.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Chas, I pray that you and Don can find peace in this ordeal.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Popularity Seeker
Picture of Catseye3
posted Hide Post
How very sad and difficult for you.

Wishing you both the best.

"Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace." -- Mike Ditka

Posts: 753 | Registered: 27 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Chas, what a long and difficult journey this has been. If only humans who are suffering could be treated as humanely as animals in such circumstances. I wish for Don whatever he wishes for himself. For you, I wish comfort and peace. Glad Don's sister is there to help.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Comfort

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
So very sorry, CHAS.

Dan has been through so many "fatal illnesses" I couldn't even try to remember. If ever a man fought for his life, it's Don.

Since I gather he "took all his pills",*
I can only hope there were many narcotics and others that knock 'em out.

In which case, I hope he is unconscious (and not in pain).
++++++++++++++++++++++
*Edit: I see I misremembered it. He didn't actually take all his pills, rather 'wanted to".

Poor Don (And poor CHAS).
If he has expressed the wish to take all his pills, but has not, I wonder what he does want.

Probably, the wish to live, but not to live in such discomfort and unable to function as he used to. I can imagine such a conflict in many cases.
It's hard to imagine the active wish to die but yet, the wish for the terrible suffering one is going through to end.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh, man. I'm really sorry. I am keeping both of you in my thoughts.

I wish Don an easy and peaceful exit if that is his heartfelt wish.

I wish you peace and comfort through this.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Hugs,
pj

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
So very sorry, CHAS.

Dan has been through so many "fatal illnesses" I couldn't even try to remember. If ever a man fought for his life, it's Don.

++++++++++++++++++++++
*Edit: I see I misremembered it. He didn't actually take all his pills, rather 'wanted to".

If he has expressed the wish to take all his pills, but has not, I wonder what he does want.

Probably, the wish to live, but not to live in such discomfort and unable to function as he used to. I can imagine such a conflict in many cases.
It's hard to imagine the active wish to die but yet, the wish for the terrible suffering one is going through to end.

Don, not Dan, did not take all his pills.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
So very sorry, CHAS.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Don, not Dan, did not take all his pills.

Sorry, I typoed his name the first time around, then wrote it right.

And I also corrected the business of whether he had taken all his pills. Probably I should have just deleted the whole first paragraph.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I see I scrambled my last thought too. I meant to say I could well imagine someone (even someone who'd gone through as much as he has) wishing less to die than to continue to live, only without the terrible mental and physical suffering he's endured for so long.

As you know I've never met either one of you personally. Even without that, though, one thing has stood out strongly in the very long, and very agonizing story of Don's ultra marathon of hell. That's his willingness to undergo every medical procedure (however much risk and/or pain involved), as long as it seemed to offer even a slight chance of improvement.

That's certainly a man with a remarkably strong will to live.
His willingness now to tolerate still more pain and uncertainty, seems to have finally come to an end, though.

I guess he has run out of hope. How he held on to it for so long, is a miracle and a testament to his remarkable will.

I hope deeply this strong man, is finally relieved of his torture and finds a way to his exit with the peace he has earned.

And that you too, CHAS can find a way to feel and convey that too, after accompanying him this great distance. You've been a true friend every step of the way.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow, Chas. I’m so sorry you and he are going through this.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Wishing you and Don and your loved ones peace, Chas.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I called Don's sister this morning. I left the hospital before she met with the palliative care guy. She then made the four hour drive home.
She told me that Don had called her. A nurse told him his phone was with his meds. He had ordered breakfast. He has been unable to swallow and was receiving a little water since Saturday.
He knew nothing about how he got there. Had to tell him everything I knew from finding him on the floor to this morning. Did not know he had quit breathing, etc.
He is being treated for a severe bladder infection. That probably limited what the kidney could do to eliminate the drugs he was taking and they accumulated.

WTF?
A deadhead would say, "What a strange trip it has been."