well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Girl Scout Cookies

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girl Scout Cookies
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I believe that a life well lived includes buying whatever any child schleps up on to my porch. Ditto whatever a child is hawking in front of a grocery store.

The exception is puppies. No matter how cute they are - the puppies or the children - I do not buy puppies.

But I do buy Girl Scout cookies. Lots of them. I mostly don’t eat them, but I buy them. Mrs. M. takes them to work to get them out of the house. I give them to crew - they’ll eat anything. A few remain in the house and I might eat one or two.

My current favorite is the Caramel D’light. Caramel D’Lights feature everything that’s possible to hate about a commercially made cookie. They’re too sweet. Everything about them tastes vaguely artificial and the ingredients list looks like a chemistry set. They’re shelf stable to the point of being inert. They’re overpriced.

And they’re delicious. Yummy

So - do you buy the cookies? Do you buy other stuff? (Not puppies). Which cookies do you like? What else have you bought?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34834 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I always buy Girl Scout cookies. If they are outside of a store selling them, I pretty much can’t walk buy without buying a box. Thwt or I have to go throug a different entrance.

In our current neighborhood we don’t get kids coming to our door. I wonder if we will in our new neighborhood.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No, I don't enjoy any sort of manufactured cookie.

If it is not fresh out of the oven, it's not worth it.

I wind up saying no to Girl Scouts *a lot.*

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Since I heard/read? That they gal selling gets almost nothing and the co. Gets free salesgirls, I stopped buying them.

My grand niece and well, niece is whole hog into it. It is more Moms work than kids.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I heard/read? That they gal selling gets almost nothing and the co. Gets free salesgirls, I stopped buying them.

Eeker

Where do the profits go then??

ETA: in other words, I would imagine the money goes back to the girl scouts parent organization, but does that not benefit the troops doing the selling? Does the organization use the money for grants and activities that benefit the girls?

really not wanting to consider the possibility that the Girl Scouts themselves are getting taken advantage of Frowner

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I searched Google for information concerning the financial arrangements surrounding Girl Scout cookies before. I could not find anything substantial. Shrug

In any case, why is there no Boy Scout cookies?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12680 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
why is there no Boy Scout cookies

Because gendered norms.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I always buy GS cookies, but don’t always eat them.

I bought yarn from a 12.5 yo girl who was helping her mom at a shop last Sunday (during Rose City Yarn Crawl). She approached me, offered me a chocolate, and launched into a spiel about the yarn. Very charming, and I’m very willing to reward that behavior!

Cub Scouts here sell Christmas wreaths. I always buy from the first kid to ask me, but nobody has asked me for the last couple years. My kids used to sell these, and they were always the top selling scouts.

Boy Scouts recycle Christmas trees. There may have been popcorn sales, but I ignore those.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9786 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Only the peanut butter Girl Scout cookies are edible IMO.

Pepperidge Farms Triple Chocolate Chips seduce me. My nemisis

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25675 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The going rate is $4 a box, but only $.64 stays with the girls at first.

"It depends on how many cookies you initially sell," said Ruda. "The more you sell in the first order, the more you make off each box."

$1.20 goes toward the cost of the cookie.

$1 goes toward membership and troop support.

$.70 on average will go toward the actual troops.

$.58 will go toward the programs and camps.

$.37 will go toward administration.

$.15 will go for the volunteers.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
$1.20 goes toward the cost of the cookie.

$1 goes toward membership and troop support.

$.70 on average will go toward the actual troops.

$.58 will go toward the programs and camps.

$.37 will go toward administration.

$.15 will go for the volunteers.

So, the question then is, how much do individual scouts or their troops benefit from the two things I bolded above. Because,$.37 to admin isn't very much! Also, I wonder what "for the volunteers" means.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The funds raised do not go to the individual girls, but to the troop to help cover the cost of their annual expenses

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The funds raised do not go to the individual girls, but to the troop to help cover the cost of their annual expenses

I don't have a problem with that. Do you? ETA: what am I missing here?

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that the wholesale price of manufactured cookies bought in massive quantities is $1.20 per box. I expected half that.

Are the Scouts getting ripped off?

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post