well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another former member of the administration speaks

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another former member of the administration speaks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Miles Taylor, a former senior Trump administration official, endorsed Joe Biden's presidential campaign on Monday, becoming one of the highest-ranking former Trump administration officials to do so.

Taylor, who served as chief of staff to Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, also accused President Donald Trump of repeatedly using his office for political purposes, including directing officials to cut wildfire relief funding to California because voters there overwhelmingly opposed him in 2016.

Taylor, a longtime Republican and political appointee at DHS from 2017 to 2019, endorsed the former vice president in a video produced by the group Republican Voters Against Trump in which he also made several allegations about Trump's conduct. He also wrote an op-ed published in The Washington Post calling the President "dangerous" for America.

"What we saw week in and week out, for me, after two and a half years in that administration, was terrifying. We would go in to try to talk to him about a pressing national security issue -- cyberattack, terrorism threat -- he wasn't interested in those things. To him, they weren't priorities," Taylor says in the video.

"Given what I have experienced in the administration, I have to support Joe Biden for president and even though I am not a Democrat, even though I disagree on key issues, I'm confident that Joe Biden will protect the country and I'm confident that he won't make the same mistakes as this President."

White House adviser Jared Kushner dismissed Taylor as "a nice kid" in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room" and claimed he wasn't up to the job.

"It makes a lot of sense to me that he's endorsing Joe Biden because when he was working at the Department of Homeland Security, no wall was built and the border was wide open. That's why the President changed up the team there," Kushner, who is Trump's son-in-law, said.

In the video, Taylor accuses Trump of directing FEMA to withhold disaster funding to California following devastating wildfires in that state because voters in that state had not voted for him for President.

"He told us to stop giving money to people whose houses had burned down from a wildfire because he was so rageful that people in the state of California didn't support him and that politically it wasn't a base for him," Taylor says in the video.

Taylor also accused Trump of wanting to reapply the "zero-tolerance" immigration policy that separated migrant children from their families in a more draconian fashion in order to deter illegal immigration.

"He said he wanted to go further and have a deliberate policy of ripping children away from their parents to show those parents that they shouldn't come to the border in the first place," Taylor said in the video.

And when officials pushed back on many of Trump's demands because they were illegal or unfeasible, Taylor said Trump responded by citing "magical authorities" he claimed to have as President.

"He was one of the most unfocused and undisciplined senior executives I have ever encountered," Taylor said. "I came away completely equipped based on firsthand experience that the President was ill-equipped and wouldn't become equipped to do his job effectively -- and what's worse, was actively doing damage to our national security."

Taylor also said in his Washington Post op-ed that when Trump moved to close a section of the US-Mexico border in March 2019, he told officials that he opted for a section of the California-Mexico border -- rather than Texas or Arizona -- "because it would be better for him politically."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17...n-endorse/index.html

edit: his WaPo oped: https://www.washingtonpost.com...7b0477ed4_story.html

The video:

https://twitter.com/RVAT2020/s.../1295428130170195968

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A former senior Trump administration official who is endorsing Joe Biden's presidential campaign said Tuesday that if President Donald Trump wins a second term he will "align with dictators around the world."

"There are people serving very close to the President that have told me verbatim we should expect, quote, 'shock and awe' if the President wins a second term. You will see a flurry of executive orders. You will see the President pull out of foreign alliances. You will see the President align with dictators around the world," said Miles Taylor, who served as chief of staff to Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, in an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."

"And if right now we're less safe because we have fewer friends and stronger enemies than before, you can expect to see that on steroids in another four years of the Trump administration," Taylor added.

quote:
Taylor described to Tapper several incidents he witnessed that he says shed light on Trump's character, including one in which the President appeared to endorse the use of tear gas on migrants along the US-Mexico border.

"I distinctly remember an incident at the Southwest border. We had a case where we had a number of migrants charging a border station. Now what normally happens is border patrol has to do crowd control measures to protect officers on the line so limited tear gas was used to make sure that facility wasn't charged," he said.

"When Donald Trump saw that on TV, he actually thought what we were doing was starting just to gas migrants across the border as a tactic. In fact, he immediately called the secretary of Homeland Security to say, 'This is great, I love what you're doing, keep it going.' He thought gassing was a policy when really it was a safety measure in that one moment for officers."

"I think that tells you a lot about the President's character," Taylor said. "And that's why I think this is a character election."

Taylor also claimed that the White House is working to "dig up dirt" on him because of his rebuke of Trump.

"I just got word within the past hour that a White House liaison employee at the department has been directed to go around to dig up dirt on me. Now, look, I'm fine with that. I can handle it," he said.

"But here's the point: the administration, within hours of me speaking out about this, is already using taxpayer dollars for political purposes at the department. That just goes to show you that they can't break out of this cycle," Taylor added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18...use-cnntv/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
During an MSNBC interview Wednesday, a former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security revealed a request he said he heard from President Donald Trump.

"He actually said ... could we swap Puerto Rico for Greenland because, in his words, Puerto Rico was 'dirty' and 'the people were poor,'" former DHS chief of staff Miles Taylor told MSNBC's Hallie Jackson.

Taylor said Trump made the offensive comments ahead of a 2018 trip to Puerto Rico for hurricane relief.

The former official added Trump expressed "deep animus for the Puerto Rican people behind the scenes" and that he did not believe Trump was joking.

https://www.businessinsider.co...for-greenland-2020-8

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post