well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meetings cancelled

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meetings cancelled
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Mr. Jodi found out this morning that the meeting he was scheduled to attend in San Diego this next weekend has been cancelled. Really glad because he didn’t want to travel (after just coming back from an 8 day trip) - and I had thought about going with him (because it would be a nice place to visit to get away from the snow) but decided against it since the big art show I’m going to next week is right after and I knew I wouldn’t be ready (and now I’m glad we aren’t out my plane ticket). But I’m having serious reservations about this art show - really wondering if anybody will show up to purchase art. I’ve already paid for my VRBO, and the fee to enter, (about $650 total) which I won’t get back, so I will probably still go (it’s about a 3 hour drive). But this may be a big waste of time and $$. I can’t imagine they will cancel, unless a bunch of artists decide not to show up. Went from being something I was looking forward to, to something I’m kind of dreading. Frowner

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Mr. Jodi found out this morning that the meeting he was scheduled to attend in San Diego this next weekend has been cancelled. Really glad because he didn’t want to travel (after just coming back from an 8 day trip) - and I had thought about going with him (because it would be a nice place to visit to get away from the snow) but decided against it since the big art show I’m going to next week is right after and I knew I wouldn’t be ready (and now I’m glad we aren’t out my plane ticket). But I’m having serious reservations about this art show - really wondering if anybody will show up to purchase art. I’ve already paid for my VRBO, and the fee to enter, (about $650 total) which I won’t get back, so I will probably still go (it’s about a 3 hour drive). But this may be a big waste of time and $$. I can’t imagine they will cancel, unless a bunch of artists decide not to show up. Went from being something I was looking forward to, to something I’m kind of dreading. Frowner

Frowner

You've worked so hard preparing!

Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I hope all will go well for your art show. I think people will attend, as they can go at their leisure.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They are still going on with the show. (Frankly, I’d be happier if they cancelled). But I’ve already spent the money, and I’m not in a super high risk group, so I guess I’m going. It will be interesting to see how many “buyers” show up.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Now it gets trickier. Western Art Week in Great Falls has multiple art shows - the one I’m in (the out west art show, held at the Heritage Inn) is one of the big ones, another is the Charles M. Russell Auction, (associated with the museum, and as I understand it, they auction off old dead guy paintings, which brings in huge art buyers from all over the world). Anyway - the CMR just issued a press release that they are postponing their event, it is to be rescheduled sometime in the next 6 months. https://cmrussell.org/the-russell-event/
I’m guessing they are a big part of why people come to Western Art week (and buy art) but so far, the show I’m part of is not canceling (in part because it may be financial disaster for them if they do). So now the group of artists I’m with (the Montana watercolor society) is trying to decide if we are going to attend. *sigh*

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi I don't envy you. There are no clear answers, and I suspect a lot of people are just wishing someone else would decide for them.

I'm also really sorry that you have so much money tied up in it! Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Truthfully, I don’t care about the money so much at the moment. I’d really rather not go and risk getting sick, AND/or bringing back the virus and infecting people in a worse demographic than I am in. Especially if there aren’t going to be any buyers. Then not only am I out the money, but out the time.

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Does your decision to not go affect others?

I mean, even if it does...

More and more, I'm thinking any event we can cancel, when the choice is ours to make, we should cancel.

Just my two yen...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I’d really rather not go and risk getting sick, AND/or bringing back the virus and infecting people in a worse demographic than I am in.

There are worse demographics than ours, but, if you look at ten-year age brackets, ours is the one where the figures start to jump up.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am aware I’m not in the *best* demographic.

Smiler Jodi

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Jodi, who knows how this thing will have exploded by the time of the art show. If the auction is being postponed, my bet is that your event will be too. I have really been looking forward to going, but I am avoiding being indoors with lots of people right now. My knee surgery is still fairly debilitating--I'm going all out to keep from getting sick with even a cold as the surgery is enough to deal with. I hope your group postpones also so that the decision isn't one you have to make.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness I’m under 60. I’m safe!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My group has not postponed - the show manager (for the group show) said all the artists were coming - but I may have to bail anyway (see my other thread HairRaising

Smiler Jodi