well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cowless dairy products

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowless dairy products
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Moooove over: How single-celled yeasts are doing the work of 1,500-pound cows

Cowless dairy is here, with the potential to shake up the future of animal dairy and plant-based milks

https://wapo.st/3ZHEIKg

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37786 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This process appears to have the potential to produce whey and casein at a lower cost than traditional farming, environmental issues notwithstanding.

I view this as good.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to taste some. Cannot abide the plant-based milks, and I drink a fair amount.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Recent reports indicate that processed foods are not good for people.
I like cows.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Recent reports indicate that processed foods are not good for people.
I like cows.

True, but cattle farming is definitely horrible for the environment and, in turn, people. I think the problem lies more in foods engineered to make you want more as opposed to finding ways to “grow” actual animal products sans animals.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4081 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the problem lies more in foods engineered to make you want more as opposed to finding ways to “grow” actual animal products sans animals.

This.

I would like to know how plant-based milks, like soy milk, are health-wise specifically with regard to the versions that don't have all kinds of added sugar.

As it happens, the kind of soy milk that has no added sugar is the hardest kind to find in supermarkets around here. Funny...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18326 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Mr. AM drinks Ripple, which is a plant based “milk.” It’s made from legumes; he drinks the unsweetened version.

It’s…okay. I still use 2% milk, and half and half.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9788 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I currently use cashew milk which is the only non-dairy milk I like. I can even have it on oatmeal. It’s pretty delicious and low calorie. I’m sure it’s terrible for the environment.

Edit: none are great https://thebeet.com/youve-ditc...for-the-environment/

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4081 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Almond milk has been my go-to in cereal and cooking. But I prefer oat milk in coffee drinks.

I lean toward vegan but there’s something so enticing about good cheese. I don’t consume a lot of it, but really enjoy it when I do. Hard to not grate some real Parmesan over pasta!

I do like the scallion tofu spread on bagels.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post