well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Daily Northwestern Won't Cover Traumatizing Events
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Daily Northwestern Won't Cover Traumatizing Events
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
quote:
We feel that covering traumatic events requires a different response than many other stories. While our goal is to document history and spread information, nothing is more important than ensuring that our fellow students feel safe — and in situations like this, that they are benefitting from our coverage rather than being actively harmed by it. We failed to do that last week, and we could not be more sorry. …

Ultimately, The Daily failed to consider our impact in our reporting surrounding Jeff Sessions. We know we hurt students that night, especially those who identify with marginalized groups. …

Going forward, we are working on setting guidelines for source outreach, social media and covering marginalized groups. As students at Northwestern, we are also grappling with the impact of Tuesday's events, and as a student organization, we are figuring out how we can support each other and our communities through distressing experiences that arise on campus. We will also work to balance the need for information and the potential harm our news coverage may cause.

https://reason.com/2019/11/11/...-triggered-students/

I suppose it's OK for a student newspaper to decide that avoiding offending their base is more important than accurately reporting events that impact Northwestern University.

As long as they don't mind being Fox News from the college left.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh good grief.

(we need a head-shaking emoticon)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Oh good grief.

(we need a head-shaking emoticon)

This one will do.

facepalm

Or any of these, if you prefer.

Blink

Crazy

Nuts

Skeptical

Or maybe just this.

upload photos to internet

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think using *all* of them for this story is entirely appropriate.

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Jesus.

Who’s going to save us from this new religion?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s kind of an interesting story.

What did they report about Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions III that they now regret?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the editorial that explains what they're apologizing for.

Items of note.

quote:
One area of our reporting that harmed many students was our photo coverage of the event. Some protesters found photos posted to reporters’ Twitter accounts retraumatizing and invasive.

Really?

quote:
Some students also voiced concern about the methods that Daily staffers used to reach out to them. Some of our staff members who were covering the event used Northwestern’s directory to obtain phone numbers for students beforehand and texted them to ask if they’d be willing to be interviewed. We recognize being contacted like this is an invasion of privacy, and we’ve spoken with those reporters — along with our entire staff — about the correct way to reach out to students for stories.

Quelle horreur!

quote:
We also wanted to explain our choice to remove the name of a protester initially quoted in our article on the protest. Any information The Daily provides about the protest can be used against the participating students — while some universities grant amnesty to student protesters, Northwestern does not. We did not want to play a role in any disciplinary action that could be taken by the University. Some students have also faced threats for being sources in articles published by other outlets. When the source in our article requested their name be removed, we chose to respect the student’s concerns for their privacy and safety. As a campus newspaper covering a student body that can be very easily and directly hurt by the University, we must operate differently than a professional publication in these circumstances.

Actions have consquences. An important lesson to learn.

I don't get it.

A search for "jeff sessions" on the newspaper's website yields this:

https://dailynorthwestern.com/?s=jeff+sessions

I still don't get it.

The special snowflakes are going to melt when they hit the real world.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just a little before my time, but a classmate of Mr wtg's:

https://buffett.northwestern.e...fellows-program.html

Wonder what she thinks about all this....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Photos and names, I get. If the university can punish protesters, don't give the university ammunition.

But please, don't tell me that this is really a difference in kind to professional publications. How do you think newspapers covering Hong Kong or any totalitarian regime deal with the risks of their coverage?

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I initially thought they were traumatized by photos of Jeff Sessions. That I could understand... Wink

But apparently they were traumatized by photos of the protest? If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the protest.

But as long as we're on the topic, what is with Northwestern punishing protesters? I understand punishing protesters that resort to criminal offenses (assault, vandalism, etc.), but it's not at all clear that simply being at a protest should warrant any punishment at all.

WTF happened at this protest, anyway? Murder?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Journalism dean defends initial coverage by Northwestern student journalists

Sorry it's Newsweek--lots of ads. This puts a different (and more concerning, imo) spin on the situation, and not just "those snowflakes." Interesting that there's so little coverage of this, while the media is jumping all over the triggered snowflakes storyline.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
One area of our reporting that harmed many students

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I initially thought they were traumatized by photos of Jeff Sessions.

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Journalism dean defends initial coverage by Northwestern student journalists

Sorry it's Newsweek--lots of ads. This puts a different (and more concerning, imo) spin on the situation, and not just "those snowflakes." Interesting that there's so little coverage of this, while the media is jumping all over the triggered snowflakes storyline.

Thank you for posting that!

I want to commend the television station kids:

quote:
"We have a responsibility to our campus. It's a nuanced situation and context is extremely important, but I don't think anyone should have to apologize for doing accurate journalism," Safchik said.

At least some kids at Northwestern can find the right answer without tripping over their own two feet.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
WaPo’s coverage.

https://news.google.com/articl...S&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Bazootiehead-in-training