well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Skeeters

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skeeters
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
When I lived in Minnesota there were lots of mosquitoes around. Everyone had a screened porch, no one sat around outdoors at night. Many conversations centered around the best way to repel them and ways to stop the itching. Mosquito jokes too - "It actually takes two Minnesota mosquitoes to carry off a Cocker Spaniel."

Northwestern Ohio, despite being on the lake, does not seem to have many mosquitoes. No one has a screened porch. Everyone sits around firepits in their back yards on summer evenings and no one seems to get bitten.

Here in the OC, we have always had a few mosquitoes but not enough to do much about, other than pour standing water out of flowerpots and such. I might have gotten bitten once or twice a year.

Not any more. Enter the Asian Tiger Mosquito - new kind that does more of everything you don't want a mosquito to do. They're tiny, they're fast, they bite day and night, they carry disease and can breed in a thimble full of water. Orange County is infested with them, as is most of Southern California. I see from WaPo there is a problem with them in the DC area as well.

Only upside is that they seem to bite only below my knees so I don't need to use a lot of Cutter.

How are the skeeters at your place?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
The mosquitoes in this area have West Nile, so we are diligent about standing water. At dusk they are definitely an issue, so folks generally use some sort of chemical in the immediate area or on their skin if they are going to be outside then.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I've gotten a couple of bites this summer, but that's because I basically don't go outside ... Big Grin

Wishing I was in Santa Fe, where the mosquitoes are pretty much non-existent.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have West Nile, too. Few kinds of mosquitos: inland floodwater, Culex, and Asian tiger. Floodwater and Culex transmit heartworm.

I get huge itchy blotches from the floodwater ones.

These are our mosquito fighters: https://www.nwmadil.com/

All about skeeters in Illinois: http://www.dph.illinois.gov/to...t-control/mosquitoes

I've been seeing the abatement guys out a lot recently. They drive around and take samples from the sewers. I think they are also putting BT donuts down in the sewers to help with control

I can remember when I was a kid the mosquito spraying trucks would drive around late in the evening after sunset and blanket the neighborhood in DDT. My dad used to run around the house shutting windows as soon as he heard the familiar sound of the sprayer on the truck. Smart man.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37930 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
They don't seem to be too bad here. We have lots of standing water after it rains. The only thing I can figure is it gets really hot and dry in between heavy rains.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I have a very strong reaction to mosquito bites, so I am careful about them.

By recollection, the mosquitos in the Bay Area gave me bites that resulted in intense itching, but the itching was over in a day or two. In Massachusetts, in contrast, the itch was less intense, but could last a week or even two.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They are as rare as butterflies with the industrial scale use of pesticides here.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They are bad at certain times of the year by the rivers, but not bad in town. After Maine, where the four seasons are mud, bug, winter and winter, this place feels pretty bug free.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Steve. Stop calling them Asian; the police will come for you. Big Grin

We have some; don’t know what variety. They aim for the soft skin behind my knees. I’m not out at dusk when they’re active.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We get them during the rainy summers that occur every four or five years.
There can be clouds of them requiring a lot of spraying and cursing.
Most years we leave the screens open with no problems.

My hometown is in what is called Swampeast Missouri. The levee of the Mississippi River is easily visible from my house on my farm. The mosquitos there are so large and aggressive that we castrate them and have big fries much like those for Rocky Mountain oysters and turkey fries.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post