well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is there an electrician in the house?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an electrician in the house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Outages used to be more frequent and of longer duration. Smart grid technology has helped a lot, but we have overhead lines and lots of trees in backyards. Wind and ice are our enemies. We've had a couple of three day outages in the 42 years we've been here, and a day's outage happens every few years. So no, probably not a ton.

I don't mind dragging the generator out, but I'm not getting any younger. That said, we do have some nice young families who have moved into the neighborhood and I can always call them to just move it from the garage to out back. I can handle the rest.

You could also build a little enclosure next to the panel and just store the generator there. I daresay a plastic unit made to store trash cans would work just fine. Maybe a big deck box.

quote:
The generator guys are all installing new panels when they put in the automated transfer switch and the generator. Are they just padding the bill with unnecessary work? Other folks are replacing panels even without installing a generator or upgrading service to 200 amps. I didn't really understand why, and I'm glad to hear you say that what we have is totally acceptable.

There are three brands of panels that are unacceptable and need to be replaced. #1 is Federal Pacific, still sold as Federal Pioneer in Canada. They need to go as they have the potential to start fires. The other two are Zinsco and Sylvania, neither of which are likely to start fires but both of which are are unreliable. The rest, including Pushmatic, work just fine.

Upgrading the service to 200 amps makes no sense unless you are adding a heavy load (maybe a car charger or a kiln) or you’ve had trouble with the main circuit breaker tripping. Some municipalities require it anyway but it’s a waste of money in my experience.

If you’re looking for proof of my position, check with your local power company. If you change your 100A service to a 200 service, they’ll still serve you with 100A wire unless you tell them you’re adding an additional load.

Even fused panels work fine if you don’t install additional loads. Just don’t put pennies behind them.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Gotta give this guy points for creative reuse of fixtures.

Otherwise, Eeker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpTe6H7qaBU

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We did a lot of that sort of thing back in the day.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
WTG, I have pretty much the same long-standing problem. Sloppy electrician with illegible handwriting.

I've been thinking of getting a replacement cover (paper form to paste it over) and I've gotten a bunch of cheap nightlights to work it out. The plan would be to check all the circuits by plugging the lights in circuit by circuit (the ones I'm pretty sure are connected).

Then I'd rewrite the names of which outlets/appliances etc. go with which fuses.
(WITH HELP, of course.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post