well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    17 year olds confront rotary phone
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 year olds confront rotary phone
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
In case anyone hasn't laughed at this yet...

The Rotary Phone Problem

Posts: 12527 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
hysteric

(a 708 area code is around here....)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I've seen that before, it's a hoot! I love how they quickly settle on picking up the phone and hanging up again to start over. Also, leaving their finger in the hole as it returns! hysteric

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18409 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We all know an old and useless skill... Smiler

Posts: 12527 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
In case anyone hasn't laughed at this yet...
The Rotary Phone Problem
Oh, sure, laugh at 17 year olds for not knowing how to dial a rotary phone. Try giving a sun dial to a couple of 70 year olds and give them 4 minutes to figure out how to read the time off a sun dial.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
You don't get invited to a lot of parties, do you? Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13543 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Step-by-step instructions for how to set up and read a sundial. Requires use of a GPS device.

WTF

https://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Sundial

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Requires use of a GPS device.

hysteric

Also from those directions:
quote:
Make sure your sundial will be in direct sunlight all day.

Somehow I'm thinking that if you need this hint, maybe this method of telling time isn't for you...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18409 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a mom who was recently given an iPhone by my younger son, I LOVE seeing teenagers struggling with anything technical!!

It's been soooo long, with me at the other end. (Wouldn't they have seen ANY movies - Home Alone? - with one of these antiques in it, though?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
No sympathy from me. We used to call it "a phone". Look it up.

Posts: 24703 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Oh, sure, laugh at 17 year olds for not knowing how to dial a rotary phone. Try giving a sun dial to a couple of 70 year olds and give them 4 minutes to figure out how to read the time off a sun dial.[/QUOTE]

Raises hand...Easy Peasy!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
You don't get invited to a lot of parties, do you? Big Grin

Big Grin

Posts: 24703 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
This video was made in the town where I live. So proud ....

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Last summer we were in Chicago and went to an exhibit that had a rotary phone. You dialed different numbers to hear specific songs from a list. A couple boys that looked maybe 15 or 16 were trying it, but were clearly puzzled so I asked if I could help. They were reading the directions step by step and honestly trying to follow along. The problem was that it said “dial the first number” and then, “dial the next number”. The boys were like “dial? But the numbers don’t have buttons!” And it didn’t tell you to release and let it go back between numbers. The problem wasn’t with the kids - it was that the instructions were using terms that have lost their meaning in that context. They were fascinated and very grateful for my help.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Is it just that we saw our parents use it, that we had no problems? I don't get the complication of it.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post