well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Japan’s artistically beautiful manhole covers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japan’s artistically beautiful manhole covers
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Within a couple of days, I came across two references to Japan’s colorful, elaborate, and dare I say, artistically beautiful manhole covers. One in an Internet video compilation of things that make Japan special, and one just now when I visit the Atlas Obscura website that Steve Miller linked to ... a colorful, elaborately designed manhole cover is featured on the main webpage.

When I first see those beautiful man hole covers, I thought to myself “why aren’t these more commonly used in other cities?” I also thought, “these are so pretty, I want to hang one in the house for decoration!”

Then it dawned on me ... if these beautiful man hole covers are left on the streets as man hole covers normally are, they will be stolen in no time. Japan may be one of the extremely few places where they can leave beautiful things on the streets and not worry about them getting stolen. Shrug

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
When I was in Japan I noticed their vending machines...interesting food items, tea, etc. can all be had in vending machines. Very different from here.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of perspective. American manhole covers are beautiful to me, but I don't want to steal one, nor hang one on my wall! LOL.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post