well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Typewriters are not dead

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Typewriters are not dead
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:

Twenty years ago, Martin Quezada was told the end was nigh. The sun was setting on the typewriter. Computers were king.

Twenty years later, Quezada’s shop, International Office Machines in San Gabriel, is still in business. The downturn happened. But it did not defeat Quezada, now 61, who kept his doors open.

He had loyal customers — small-business owners set in their ways, retirees unwilling or unable to learn to use a computer. He branched out into copiers and printers. He held on.

Then young people took an interest in antique typewriters.

A group of street poets brought Quezada several to repair. The typewriters were used to write poetry on demand for passersby.

“At Santa Monica Pier and Seal Beach, those trendy places,” Quezada said.

https://www.latimes.com/local/...-20190206-story.html

I need to find one of those young folks entranced with typewriters...I have a nice portable gathering dust in the basement...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Here's my baby, an Underwood. Ain't she pretty? And I'm not getting rid of it.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post