well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tomatoes in January. In Ohio.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomatoes in January. In Ohio.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Bet you’re expecting a rant, right? Well you’re not getting one.

Beefsteaks! Big juicy ones on offer at every grocery store in town. Some of the best I’ve tasted, home grown or otherwise. Just sitting as singles on the shelf like regular tomatoes. Not expensive.

In Ohio. In January. Yikes! Winter CA tomatoes came from places like Chile and were basically tennis balls.

These come from Canada. Del Fresco brand. Most likely hothouse grown, but the amazing thing is they’ve figured out how to ship them!

Tomato slice on toasted Bauerbrot with melted cheese. Fresh winter tomato with cottage cheese and strawberries (also remarkably good). Winter breakfast just got a whole lot better! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
They are grown about a half hour from my house! Greenhouses cover this part of Ontario so we always have fresh, local tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and herbs. Recently a local greenhouse started growing strawberries and they are pretty good!

However, the beef stakes you are getting right now are flavourless and sad compared to our local summer tomatoes here. Tomatoes grown in the ground taste so much better. But I will admit they are way better than the produce that is shipped in!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How cool is that? Not only the tasty tomatoes, but the fact that they're grown near Dol!

I don't buy many fresh tomatoes during the winter, but if I do, it's Camparis. They actually taste a little like a tomato.

I'll have to see if I can find the beefsteaks around here.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just wait until summer and the locally grown ones. Incredible. This is the first year I have seen the beefsteaks here in winter.

One thing that always struck me as odd was that I could not find a decent tomato in CA, even though they grow more than anywhere in the world.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Just wait until summer and the locally grown ones. Incredible. This is the first year I have seen the beefsteaks here in winter.

One thing that always struck me as odd was that I could not find a decent tomato in CA, even though they grow more than anywhere in the world.

I think they are grown mostly for export. Oranges were that way too - they mostly came from Florida.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Haard to beat a California navel orange for eating. They're coming into season now. The imported ones from South Africa et al are just not as good.

One of my favorite salads is Sicilan Orange Salad - peel and slice navels, blood oranges and maybe a cara cara or two, then great olive oil, a little salt, and eithe fresh basil or sliced red onion. Light and delicious. Perfect with grilled chicken.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just a got a great bag of Buddy's Cara Cara oranges from Trader Joe's. I think they're grown in California.

Waiting for Sky Valley heirloom oranges; I think they're usually a February thing at TJ's.

https://www.eatlikenoone.com/s...s-at-trader-joes.htm

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post