well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's for dinner?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's for dinner?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary to the SKs!

Everyone's food looks great.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
All that stuff is comfort food for me. I feel happier just looking at it.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Chickpea stew. Think cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, ginger, chickpeas coconut milk, kale.

That sounds great (and classically Indian, except they'd probably use ghee too), but don't you worry about getting enough protein?

Sorry, if I missed your mentioning it before, but are you vegetarian (VEGAN)?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
thanks y'all!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The avocados have been ready for days, kept cold in the fridge to avoid spoilage. I fear they must be used tonight.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Avocados last a long, long time in the crisper if they were not too ripe when put in. I tried to use one I put in a coupe weeks ago and it wasn't ready yet.

Tonight is grass fed filet mignon and Golden Lamb signature salad.

We got out and went for a long country drive and a walk in the woods. It was nice.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I shoulda gone to Mik's.

Cheater's Giambotta here. Less than 20 minutes to prepare.

Could eat as is:

Or add a tomato sauce, crushed red peppers and/or grated parmesan:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Recipe please?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That looks terrific! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The roasted potatoes with onions and peppers are from Trader Joe's. Frozen. They're heavy on potatoes, so sometimes I saute extra peppers, onions, and/or mushrooms if I have them around. I use one bag for the two of us, which is good for three generous meals. The two of us have dinner and then mr wtg has lunch the next day.

The Jennie-o fresh turkey sausage isn't bad. They have sweet Italian and hot Italian versions. The package has five sausages. I used two snausages to one bag of the spuds. I think three sausages would have been better.

Dump the spuds in a preheated skillet and cook till they get a little brown; they're already cooked, so you're just heating them and adding some color.

While the spuds are cooking, slice the sausage into bite size pieces. Saute in a separate pan till they're cooked and brown.

Dump everything together. I use any kind of pasta sauce that might be hanging around in the fridge or pantry and we individually dress our spuds/sausage combo. I like crushed red peppers and the cheese, too.

We're doing a lot of these easy-peasy skillet kinds of things, using stuff from TJ's plus some kind of protein, often some kind of sausage. Usually the sausages are pre-cooked.

I did a red and green cabbage saute with some smoked pork sausage chunks that was really good. I can post the recipe if anyone's interested.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Last night’s comfort food dinner: frittata! We have 3 dozen eggs here, and need to use some. (Costco purchase a couple weeks ago plus a dozen fresh eggs from church music director.)

36CA0E33-EF0F-4787-BFBC-FD273CC16410 by pianomom2001, on Flickr

This one is based on some cactus tamales we had in the fridge. There’s a family that sells them door to door; they usually come every 2 weeks. We don’t usually eat all of them, but we always buy them to support the family. And they’re good!

I heated and broke up 4 tamales, used 8 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, a handfull of shredded cheddar cheese.

Here’s the Epicurious anything goes frittata recipe that I always use.

Served with seasoned black beans on the side.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I shoulda gone to Mik's.

Cheater's Giambotta here. Less than 20 minutes to prepare.

Could eat as is:

Or add a tomato sauce, crushed red peppers and/or grated parmesan:

We have the same dishes! Dansk Bayberry if memory serves. Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hey WTG, your Giambotta reminds me, have we ever talked about Caputo’s grocery stores? (We’ve talked about Mitsuwa but maybe not Caputo’s)

We used to always go there with my dad, maybe the one in Bloomingdale? Not only do we not have a good Japanese store down here, but we also don’t have a good Italian store either!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post