well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sciatic Nerve (again)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sciatic Nerve (again)
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I actually got a little sleep after taking the drugs yesterday. Not great sleep, but maybe a total of 3 hours.

Last night was not good. Very sporadic sleep pattern. Would fall asleep for 10 or 20 minutes then wake up and not be able to get back to sleep.

I did find a couple of hours of "sleep" this morning. I will probably spend the day in bed again. So boring!

And 2 weeks to go until PT. I hope it's better by then.

Thanks you all for the support and information. I really appreciate you.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I have nothing to add, but my sympathy. I’ve never had sciatica, but enough other things that debilitate.

For 15 years now I have been told I am too young for a knee replacement. I’m 60 now. I’m apparently still too young.

I hope you are better soon.

That’s ridiculous. I have known many people who have gotten their knees replaced - a couple were under 50!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4082 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I have nothing to add, but my sympathy. I’ve never had sciatica, but enough other things that debilitate.

For 15 years now I have been told I am too young for a knee replacement. I’m 60 now. I’m apparently still too young.

I hope you are better soon.

That’s ridiculous. I have known many people who have gotten their knees replaced - a couple were under 50!

Yes, but you live in a country that cares about its people.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Is it because there’s a certain “lifespan” for the knee replacement, and they don’t want to do it too soon, so you won’t have it again later? That’s the one I heard. but I have a friend in her mid-60s who has had both knees replaced in the last several years.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the US where we hobble around on broken legs, work full time, keep shelter over our heads, and pay cartel prices for health insurance. I'm not exaggerating. Congress exempted health insurance from the federal antitrust law passed in the '40's and Obama's reforms left the exemption.

Feel better soon, Mark.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Daniel.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Mark. It sounds awful. That kind of nerve pain is unbearable.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Is it because there’s a certain “lifespan” for the knee replacement, and they don’t want to do it too soon, so you won’t have it again later? That’s the one I heard. but I have a friend in her mid-60s who has had both knees replaced in the last several years.

Insurance rules

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Welcome to the US where we hobble around on broken legs, work full time, keep shelter over our heads, and pay cartel prices for health insurance. I'm not exaggerating. Congress exempted health insurance from the federal antitrust law passed in the '40's and Obama's reforms left the exemption.

Feel better soon, Mark.

Restored the application

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

Insurance rules!

You sound a bit like an insurance salesman here.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:

Insurance rules!

You sound a bit like an insurance salesman here.

Thank you for understanding.

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I had two bouts of extreme sciatic pain. Both times the culprit was a herniated disc fragment that broke off and pressed on the nerve. Surgery to remove the disc fragment brought immediate relief.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
JF, Did it show up on an xray?

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:

Restored the application

I'm confused about the dates here. The lead date is Jan 4, 2021 and the article states that how the 1940 antitrust law's repealing is implemented, will have much to do with the Georgia run-off election on Jan 5.

That must have taken place last year, the very day after the article was printed. What happened then to change things from the 1940 McCarran-Brien insurance industry's exemption from various antitrust regs?

This article (and others in the publication) are dated as of end of 2022! We are mere weeks beyond that.

Rescinding that McCarran-Ferguson Act (exempting the insurance Industry from anti-Trust regulations) sounds great. I'm pleased and astounded to learn that it was signed into law by the president in January 2021, after being passed by a bipartisan vote in both houses in December of 2020.

But what difference has it made to date apart from blocking the merger of Aetna and Humana and how the government is now allowed to investigate the sharing of insurance company data to set premiums?

What's more, there is that confusion about the date when the change is to occur - 2020, 2021 or 2022 (at all)?

Someone please clarify these points - implementation dates and how the change will effect and protect the much exploited American public? I thought I'd digested the article, but I must have missed something.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
The above should probably be discussed in a separate thread. Since we digressed from Mark's suffering to a discussion of insurance law, I didn't know where to reply if not right after CHAS linked the relevant Act of Congress.

(Never forgetting Mark's pain and on-going investigation into its cause and hopefully successful alleviation!)

FWIW re Adagio's supposition that total knee joint replacement has a "lifespan" (therefore leading to restrictions on when it may/should be performed) I've heard that too. And if so, it wouldn't necessarily be primarily for pecuniary reasons, but because it's such an unpleasant operation!

I certainly deliberately delayed my TKJR on that account and am indefinitely putting off having the other leg done.

Of course, my left knee (still undone but qualifying) may not be nearly as painful as that of others.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post