well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trump just declared he'll teminate Medicare and Social Security if reelected
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump just declared he'll teminate Medicare and Social Security if reelected
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Should that come to past, not sure how much the older folks will miss their Medicare and Social Security benefits...

I missed this. I have to say it's an extraordinary comment.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Well, it’s 50% click bait-y.

He said he’d make the payroll tax cut permanent. Under current law, that would slowly strangle social security through an across the board benefit cut but Medicare would be paid out of the general budget.

Snopes has more, including links to edited and full texts of Trump's remarks.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-ch...ate-social-security/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"Since Trump has publicly articulated an intention to eliminate payroll taxes, and he has not accompanied that with any proposal to replace the taxes as a source of Social Security funding, it is reasonable to argue that, as Social Security Works and Common Dreams did, Trump’s payroll tax proposals, as they stand, could effectively spell the end of Social Security."

Yes, I said so.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I too have been wanting to ask Ax what he meant by the remark PQ quoted above - hoping he sees this.
(Ax??)

I fear it means Ax believes senior recipients count on both as a kind of "frosting on the cake" bennie, and if so I sincerely hope he becomes disabused of that very erronous notion. As pique says SS is the primary source of support for most retirees. WTF (and probably Ax's RL cohort) are mostly a rarified bunch.

It should merely suffice to recall our sadly MIA member, Susan, to get the idea. As exceptional as she is (ingenious, hard-working and of long-lived stock), she mentioned more than once that SS was ALL she had, and - if any of you yet know how Medicare plans work - her Medicare lacked a Medigap supplement.

Ax, educate thyself about the US population's financial means! There are certainly enough stats online describing the desperately inadequate retirement savings of most Americans. If two-income families working full-time at low-level jobs can't even afford children or a house, how do you think they could have afforded to save for retirement apart from SS?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Re the RNC again (the last night), have been meaning to mention that a video - probably one of Trump's campaign ads - specifically bragged that Trump had "strengthened Social Security and Medicare".

Wondering how this fits in with his recent "campaign promises" saying just the opposite. That's especially since it was one of his loudest last-night points.

And repeated over and over, as a proud achievement - supposedly in contrast to any previous president.
That Trump was THE ONLY PRESIDENT IN US HISTORYto keep all his campaign promises! (And that he'd do it again!)

I certainly noticed there was NO mention at the convention, of Trump's eve-of-convention "promise" to do away with Medicare and Social Security.

I guess if called on the discrepancy later, he could always just say he'd changed his mind! Meanwhile, it's "anything to get (re-)elected".

Frowner Mad

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ax, I "know" you well enough to know you usually like to avoid "confrontation" and I respect you for it.

But this was one of the most unusual posts I've read.

I'm giving this thread a gentle bump in case you haven't seen Amanda's or my posts.

Bump.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Just came around to revisit this thread.

I think pique, Amanda, Daniel, et al are saying A LOT of older folks rely on their Social Security benefits to get by, and it will be disastrous for them to lose these benefits. Without getting into quantifying “A LOT” and “disastrous,” I think I your characterization is true enough.

Trump has signed that executive order for awhile now, maybe I missed it, but I don’t see senior advocacy groups (e.g., the AARP) get up in arms about it yet. It’s as if they don’t care about the funding sources getting compromised as long as no one says out loud that the benefits will be compromised. What am I missing?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
AARP's position:

quote:
President Trump signed four executive actions Aug. 8 on topics ranging from Social Security taxes to student loans. But any assistance those orders might offer is bound to be delayed while courts determine whether the orders are constitutional.

The president issued the orders after negotiations between White House representatives and Congress failed to produce a deal on new legislation to address the widespread impact the COVID-19 pandemic has had on families across the nation. Earlier this year, federal lawmakers passed several relief laws including the CARES Act, which provided key benefits including one-time stimulus checks of up to $1,200 per person, enhanced unemployment benefits that added $600 per week and a federal moratorium on evictions. But the unemployment benefits increase and eviction moratorium ended in late July, leaving millions of Americans struggling to stay afloat financially during an international public health crisis.

Some if not all of the president's executive actions are bound to be challenged in the courts and also will face hurdles in implementation even if they are ruled constitutional. As issued, the orders involve four areas.

Payroll tax deferral

Each paycheck, the federal government collects dedicated payroll taxes from workers and employers to fund Social Security and Medicare benefits. The president's executive memo asks the Treasury Department to defer the 6.2 percent collected from employees for Social Security for four months, from Sept. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020, without interest. The deferment would apply to workers who make roughly $104,000 per year or less. The deferment would offer no relief to those who are no longer working and receiving a paycheck.

Under the executive memo, workers would still eventually be required to pay these 2020 taxes, but they could opt to do so in one lump sum at the end of the year rather than in each paycheck. It's unclear whether employers will update their payroll systems to provide this option or whether workers would choose to use it if they could.

AARP Executive Vice President Nancy LeaMond expressed concern over any suspension of payroll taxes and instead urged Congress to pass another coronavirus relief bill to benefit all families affected by the pandemic.

"Social Security is more crucial than ever as Americans face the one-two punch of the coronavirus's health and economic consequences. But, this approach exacerbates people's already-heightened fears and concerns about their financial and retirement security. Social Security's guaranteed benefits are indispensable. Families impacted by coronavirus urgently need help, and we believe bipartisan congressional action on another coronavirus aid bill is the right solution."

During his press briefing on August 12, President Trump said that if he is re-elected, “we are going to be terminating the payroll tax after the beginning of the new year.” On August 13, AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins sent the president a letter asking for further explanations about the administration’s remarks about eliminating the dedicated funding for Social Security.

“The foundation of Social Security, for 85 years, is that workers and employers pay into the program, and workers earn their benefits,” Jenkins says. “AARP believes permanent elimination of payroll contributions would put Social Security benefits at risk for both current and future retirees.”

https://www.aarp.org/politics-...xecutive-orders.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Percentage of people (by state) who rely on SS for more than 90 percent of income (2015 stats).

https://www.aarp.org/ppi/info-...enefit-by-state.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thanks, wtg.

But don't forget relying on SS for 90% of one's income, is an exceptionally high figure and the recipients are therefore fewer in number.

Motley Fool reports the following in 2017 (moe recently than the previous figure. (italics mine)

quote:
4. 61%
Social Security's importance can't be understated. SSA data shows that 61% of retired workers count on their benefits to comprise at least half of their monthly income. This includes a whopping 71% of unmarried elderly individuals, and 48% of married elderly adults.

at least 60% married retirees depend on SS for over half their monthly income, and over 70% of singles