well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trump just declared he'll teminate Medicare and Social Security if reelected
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump just declared he'll teminate Medicare and Social Security if reelected
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Either that or this is a misleading (clickbait) headline.

? Confused

Trump says he'll end Medicare and Social Security upcoming

Hard to believe he dares to make such a threat/promise before running again. Seriously, are there THAT many "true believers" willing to vote against their interests, that way?
Those are way popular programs. (Abandoning MEDICAID might be more appealing to the uber selfish among the population.)

Or again, is this a trick headline?

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Should that come to past, not sure how much the older folks will miss their Medicare and Social Security benefits, but the younger folks get to stop paying (or pay less) into the Medicare and Social Security trust funds, and maybe use the time and the money to plan their retirements and old-age healthcare differently on their own.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My father always said that any politician who threatened Social Security would die a quick and thorough death. My dad was a very smart guy.

We shall see.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Well then, he just lost my vote...

For the umteenth time...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s 50% click bait-y.

He said he’d make the payroll tax cut permanent. Under current law, that would slowly strangle social security through an across the board benefit cut but Medicare would be paid out of the general budget.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
"under current law" doesn't seem to bind this administration. If he can wrest control of spending from the House, he can easily ignore other seeming limits on his authority. If Congress cannot stand up to him over the basic division of power, it will have enshrined its complete irrelevance going forward. We will live in a different kind of political space.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Social Security Works IS a reputable source.

https://socialsecurityworks.org/

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

He said he’d make the payroll tax cut permanent. Under current law, that would slowly strangle social security through an across the board benefit cut but Medicare would be paid out of the general budget.

Medicare would be strangled if it were paid out of the general budget.

I had an unwelcome thought about Social Security the other day. Up to the 1983 Amendments, in the history of Social Security, no changes were made without Congress and its relevant committees being involved in the the process.

The 1983 Amendments already raised the retirement age in segments.

Since then, the top retirement age has been raised to 70. It was done without the the usual Congressional process. I don't know when.

WTF.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

What he *did* sign was a plan to allow employees to defer (not eliminate) their portion of payroll taxes until Dec 31, 2020. So, as of today, it's "fake" savings. In other words, should he not get elected, should the courts determine that the deferral is illegal (because it also contains salary caps), or any of several other potential situations, the employee will be on the hook to pay that money back. When and how remains a big question. So a smart person wouldn't be spending that money, regardless.... because you may need to turn around and give it back at the beginning of next year.

But should Biden win, wouldn't that be a great message.... welcome to my inauguration, give me back those deferred payroll taxes.

Yuck. On so many levels, not just political.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Biden could forgive the debt for all people making less than X (maybe 20K) and make the forgiveness then gradually decrease up to, say, 65K income. Progressive!

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The randomness of all these scattershot financial aid packages is driving many people insane. It's very hard to plan your budget when you have no idea if you're going to get an extra $600/week, or $400/week, or nothing, or whether you'll have to pay it back, or have it forgiven.

Gah. We are spending at least 2-3 hours every single day answering employee's questions, and most of the time our answer is pretty much, "beats me." Add in the fact that none of our employees have seen a dime of CARES money yet. Things are getting really tough for a lot of people.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for anyone who has to explain Trump’s actions to ordinary people.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
You mean you feel sorry for Kellyanne and Mc-Inane-y???

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ha. No I was thinking about Nina!

Explain it, not defend it.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
not sure how much the older folks will miss their Medicare and Social Security benefits

you are kidding, right ax? for most older folks, that is all they've got. young people will feel the pain, too, when they have to take in and support their aging parents.

it will be just like the olden days, when grandma lived in a recliner in the corner of the living room, recovering from a stroke, while the rest of the household carried on around her.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post