well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Gardening question!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gardening question!
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
Hi everyone!
I have an idea but I need help figuring out what I think could be a cool idea! I want to make a vertical garden wall using terracotta pipe. I have a gazillion of these:

We live right on the boundary of zones 7a and 6b. The area is in partial shade. Currently, chives and cilantro grow beautifully in this space. What plants would work for a vertical garden? Perennial would be best. Attracting hummingbirds and butterflies would be a bonus.

Thanks!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Only suggestion from me is to use them as garden props (lots of ways), but no suggestions for planting in them, for many reasons.

Sorry.

I do like them!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A couple of observations....

1) Assuming you plan to leave the pipes as shown in the photo, you may want to consider how you'll water them. Unless you drill a hole in the top, it might be tricky and/or laborious to water whatever you are growing. Not sure what kind of shape the pipes are in. If they're older and crumbly, then drilling might be a challenge.

2) Unglazed terra cotta tends to wick away moisture pretty rapidly. You might want to consider sealing the pipe with something that is waterproof to slow evaporation. Also needs to be non-toxic to plants.

3) My first reaction is that you could use Sempervivum (hens and chicks), sedum, and rock cress, all of which require minimum water (see #1 and 2 above!). Only problem is I think they all like quite a bit of sun; not sure how'd they do in partial shade.

I'll think some more, and look around for other alternatives.

Have you considered a wine cellar in your basement?

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37876 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We actually have them because we intended to build a wine cellar! Then realized that we are more interested in drinking wine than storing it. Big Grin. Hens and chicks were on the list of possibilities. I also read about using honeysuckle in vertical gardens - not sure if that works with this configuration. We will have access to the back of the structure, so that may help with the watering bit...

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

Think big!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37876 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I say go for it! Gosh I would love to try it! Sedums could work along with hens and chicks.

LilyLady, you gave me some small yellow sedum I have tucked in rock walls and it is flourishing! I could so see it in this situation.

If it doesn't work, try something else...but TRY! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Something trailing? Strawberries?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21341 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
If there is any way to tip them up slightly at the front edges, so you can water them, that would probably help, it would hold the soil in too. Take pictures if whatever you do, I want to see! Sedums and sempervivums would do well in something like that.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20448 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone! I’m trying to figure out the logistics, but we are going to try it. We already have the stuff, so it’s a pretty low risk experiment! Good point Jodi about tipping them up slightly - I was thinking the same just to keep the plants in the soil until they are properly rooted. I was thinking I might just plant mosses in the bottom layer or two since those areas will likely stay pretty damp most of the time. A friend has hens and chicks that she will donate to the cause. Sedum would be lovely as well. Worst case scenario we lose a few plants in the process!

Wtg - I found those photos when I was looking as well! The one in Spain is so cool!

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Wtg - I found those photos when I was looking as well! The one in Spain is so cool!

Everything in Spain is cool just sayin'...I have it as number one on my snow bird location..Somewhere I have a photo of an entire building wall that is planted in Madrid..It was spectacular!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post