well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Heading to Berk County
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Berk County
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I received an email invitation to be a "poll greeter" (one of two 6 1/2 hr shifts or even both).

Is this what you're doing? If so (since I'm in PA) there's no requirement about being a lawyer.

Perhaps however, you're going to fulfill a different, more demanding role.

Here's what the relevent part of the email reads.

quote:
The Centre County Democrats are looking for poll greeters on Election Day! We'd like to cover as many polling places as possible on Election Day. We will provide everything that you might need: masks, hand sanitizer, gloves, campaign literature, and more.

What is a Poll Greeter?
In a nutshell, your responsibility on Election Day can be reduced to two activities: Poll Coverage and Maximizing Turnout. Poll coverage means having at least one person outside the poll to greet voters, distribute sample Democratic ballots and campaign literature, and answer questions. Additionally, you are the eyes and ears for the Democratic Party. You are at the polls to ensure that there is no voter intimidation, voter suppression, or any other issues. Poll coverage is vital because it establishes a Democratic presence in your community and because, in a few instances, it can help influence a person’s vote.

We have 2 shifts for Election Day
Shift 1: 7:00am - 1:30pm
Shift 2: 1:30pm - 8:00pm
*you can do an all-day shift as well!

Want to read more about what this would entail? Check out my Poll Greeter Instruction packet.

Continuing on the theme of Election Day Efforts, here are a few reminders...

Aha, I do see now that this is a solicitation directed toward Democrats. (Going to look back to see if that's what you're going to be a part of.)

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a different effort. The training we received included learning about PA election law. After all, if someone is turned away, a poll observer needs to understand whether that person was legally entitled to cast a regular or provisional ballot.

You already have a job, Amanda: You need to make sure your own vote gets counted!

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
This sounds like a different effort. The training we received included learning about PA election law. After all, if someone is turned away, a poll observer needs to understand whether that person was legally entitled to cast a regular or provisional ballot.

You already have a job, Amanda: You need to make sure your own vote gets counted!

Oh, THAT! Don't worry, Mommy. Having found my Garmin, finding the main ballot box was a breeze especially since it's open round the clock. Got my ballot confirmation email today!

Yes, there's a lot of overlap in the sound of it, but I guess the poll greeters are as close as they can get to electioneering right up to the wire. Also, they are a Democratic presence double checking there's no voter suppression and (at an extreme) violence.

They ARE supposed to be able to answer questions, though.
If that includes defending the Democratic positions in specifics, don't think I'd be a worthy representative.

Can't imagine being able to afford (not money, just in sheer numbers) a lawyer at precincts like around here. Perhaps large areas covering more voters, especially if there are strongly opposing groups that might openly clash. . I'm sure such greeters (makes me think of the greeters Walmart used to hire) are really important in such polarized areas. As in calling the cops if trouble arises.

Not that everyone in my little township is of one mind! Lots of complaining in our "Nextdoor" site about yard signs being stolen and defaced. (Both sides!)

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
This link to questions Poll Greeters should be able to answer about PA (our area especially) re voting questions, suggests there does need to be some knowledgeability in that area.

Maybe if the greeters can't answer them, they call one of you guys.

https://docs.google.com/docume...9Wn4CMJABKrz2tg/edit