well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Heading to Berk County
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Berk County
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Mr. Sphinx and I have been assigned to be poll observers in Berk County, PA. We are going to drive the 2.5 hours the day before because we have to show up before 7 am. I have Hilton points that expire if I don’t use them, so we’ll find a hotel.

If Trump wins, I won’t have use for the points anyway because they don’t honor them in Costa Rica, where I will be living.

If anything interesting happens, I will let you know.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good work!

I’ve never seen Berk County. Pictures?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Cindy!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've heard great things about Costa Rica, but don't think I can talk MrsTuner into moving that far.

However, election day may change her mind!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
It's Berks county... There's an s on the end. Reading (pronounced redding, not like what you do with a book) is the most populous city and Reading itself is fairly urban with a large Hispanic population but it is surrounded by mostly white rural redneck-y areas. Berks county stretches towards Lancaster so there's some Amish too. Should make for some interesting poll (and people) watching. Thanks for volunteering!

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, so this is something you volunteered for? (I am fairly ignorant about these things)

In any case, thank you!

And may none of us feel the need to start packing for a Costa Rica move on Mov. 4th!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
My plan if Trump wins, with a somewhat reluctant spouse, is Ireland. She's researching whether we can get into Canada.

I also hear Portugal is nice, but getting in may not be as easy.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin who has lived all over the world. She says Portugal would be her first pick. But she speaks the language, and it isn't easy to learn.

Curious why Costa Rica?

Canada and New Zealand are doable if you are self-supporting in the arts or retired. I think MA has a good shot as long as she doesn't need a job. Quebec is interested if you are willing/able to start up a business that will employ Canadians. They had a farm program for a while in BC, but it has been suspended.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUpCindysphinx ThumbsUp

My mate is reluctant to go anywhere. He needs his doctors and meds. Don's situation is much the same.
Portugal might be good, but I have not researched a move.
My assets are mostly farmland. It is difficult to get it through customs.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
ThumbsUpCindysphinx ThumbsUp

My mate is reluctant to go anywhere. He needs his doctors and meds. Don's situation is much the same.
Portugal might be good, but I have not researched a move.
My assets are mostly farmland. It is difficult to get it through customs.

You could sell to people trying to escape the virus and the coming riots.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
My plan if Trump wins, with a somewhat reluctant spouse, is Ireland. She's researching whether we can get into Canada.

I also hear Portugal is nice, but getting in may not be as easy.

Quirt, do you or MA qualify for Irish citizenship?

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I actually do qualify for Irish citizenship, and my wife and I have periodically thought about getting a second home near Galway. We were especially tempted post-financial-meltdown when Irish real estate was very inexpensive. Don't know what price are like today.

Then we acquired property in New Mexico as a place to go and a place to retire.

But an Irish retreat remains a possibility. Nice little place along the coast in Co. Galway or Co. Clare. Accent on little.

My grandmother was born in a tiny dot called Inver, near Donegal town in 1901. If I can resurrect her birth certificate the rest is paperwork.

If I went there I'd have to put an O' in front of my name ... Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Cindy! I'm proud to say I know you. Not much poll-watching volunteer options here, since we're all vote-by-mail in Oregon and Washington.

Mr. Nina and I are hoping for a Canada option, but we're also hoping that there's no need.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Cindy, so this is something you volunteered for? (I am fairly ignorant about these things)

In any case, thank you!

And may none of us feel the need to start packing for a Costa Rica move on Mov. 4th!
I got a text from the Biden campaign seeking lawyers to be poll observers in PA or VA.

Mr. Sphinx and I did this for Kerry. You stand outside all day, answering voter questions. Like, if someone is in the wrong precinct, you don’t let them find that out after they wait in line. If police show up, that can be voter suppression, so you ask them to move to wherever state law requires. I plan to bring extra disposable masks, water, Folding chairs, snacks, whatever folks might need to wait it out. Last time, we drove A few people to the correct precinct, waited for them, drove them back.

The most important thing is to make sure everyone who tries to vote gets to vote. Advocating for them to cast a provisional ballot is better than having them just leave.

We got trained on a Zoom call. There were 400 lawyers on the call I joined. There were 800 on the call Mr. Sphinx joined. The enthusiasm and determination on the Dem side is unreal.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post