well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cheese, please
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheese, please
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I’ve recently discovered soft goat milk cheeses like chèvre and I’m hooked! What other cheeses are like that? Other styles too- what are your favorites?

SK, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Japanese cheese. Is there such a thing?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I happen to be fond of this goat cheese:

https://www.traderjoes.com/dig...s-marinated-in-herbs

I used to buy this kind of cheese at Stop and Shop when I worked downtown, back in the Dark Ages. They had a huge apothecary jar with cylinders of the cheese marinating in oil and herbs in their cheese department. They also had fresh French bread way before it was fashionable/widely available.

I would buy a chunk of the cheese (it wasn't sliced like the TJ's version) and a baguette and that was lunch. Kind of mush up the cheese on the bread and then pour some herby oil over the whole thing.

One time I brought home a piece for Mr wtg to try. He just looked at it and said "I think I'll pass. Someone dropped that cheese in the dirt."

If you decide to try the marinated medallions from TJ's, I'd also recommend buying some uncured salame and a package of their ciabatta rolls, or the smaller French rolls. Pop the bread in the oven for a bit to warm it and crisp the outside. Nirvana.

https://www.traderjoes.com/dig...di-parma-mild-salami

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve, come to the Midwest and I'll drag you guys up to Door County. We can go here:

https://doorcountycreamery.com/

They also offer goat yoga sessions....

ThumbsUp

(I haven't tried the goat milk gelato...there weren't any flavors that looked appealing when I was there a month ago, and last week I was so busy I didn't even go into town...)

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Dayum, WTG! That looks fantastic!

I’ll get some tomorrow!

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I also like to throw some roasted red peppers on the whole thing, if I have them available. Fresh roasted is great, but the ones in a jar are very good, too. Or sun-dried tomatoes in oil (though they add more oil to the sandwich and it can be a bit much; maybe use those on plain chevre rather than the oil-marinated stuff).

Check TJs for those, too.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I like Port Salut.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SK, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Japanese cheese. Is there such a thing?

I would say that no, Japanese cheese is not a thing. There is cheese in Japan of course, but it’s not original to Japanese cuisine.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
George the border collie loved chevre. He would swallow any pill if it was in a ball of chevre. Heck, he'd probably eat .... ummm... well... let's just say "anything" if it was in a ball of chevre. We bought the little logs of Silver Goat chevre from TJs and everyone found it quite yummy. They have a plain one and one with herbs and garlic. Dog breath is bad enough... garlic dog breath? Urg.

I tried the ones from Costco. They were okay, but not as good as the ones from TJs.

And speaking of soft cheese, do not get between me and Brie. Especially not baked Brie wrapped in phyllo dough and drizzled with olive oil. I'm drooling as I type this.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Love Brie. I make all kinds of crazy stuff with it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Check out a lot of other triple cream cheeses. There is quite a variation.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I like Port Salut.

One of my favorites.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
You would love this place that opened in Over The Rhine.

https://www.therhined.com/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I love blue goat cheeses.
Have not had any for a while.
Thanks for the reminder.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

I like Cambozola and Champignon bries for a change of pace.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

I like Cambozola and Champignon bries for a change of pace.

I've never heard of those. I'll look for them. Thanks!