well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID patient gets double lung transplate (NYTs)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID patient gets double lung transplate (NYTs)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's a non-paywall link for Northwestern's press release.

https://www.nm.org/about-us/no...orthwestern-medicine

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I was aware of one in Hubei earlier in the year.

That picture of the old lungs was shocking.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I am very happy that the patient gets a new lease on life, and very much hope that the medical establishment can learn something valuable from this that will subsequently benefit other patients.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A second patient got a double lung transplant at NU. Guy is in his early 60s, had no health issues before COVID. "I thought the virus was a hoax."

quote:
"Usually we do these lung transplants in six to eight hours and we were taking more than this, around ten hours, so that I think reveals how difficult the dissection was with all of the scarring and damage from the virus," said Dr. Rafael Garza Castillon, thoracic surgeon.

https://abc7chicago.com/health...are-stories/6342224/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Of course, this means that patients who need a double lung transplant for other reasons are more likely to die due to the extra demand for organs that are in extremely limited supply ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Of course, this means that patients who need a double lung transplant for other reasons are more likely to die due to the extra demand for organs that are in extremely limited supply ...

Well THAT would be horrid.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
But it's obviously true unless there are lots of excellent lungs being thrown away because no one needs them. That is not the case.

If you're effectively triaging patients, and a COVID patient pops up who needs lungs, lungs that were about to go to someone else, then that someone else has just been handed a higher probability of death because they have to go back into the queue. And everyone else in the queue is pushed further back, leading to greater death and morbidity.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are the organs in limited supply?

Lots of people die and donate organs, and yet there are comparatively fewer lung transplants. I would have thought the bottleneck is the number of people who are capable of performing the procedure.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ask Jon ...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ask Jon ...

Fair point. I guess I don't understand why there are so many, let's say, kidney transplants in comparison.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Won’t the organ donation protocol handle this? It shouldn’t matter how someone got sick. If they are sicker than someone else and have a good chance of survival, why shouldn’t a corona patient not get the available organ?

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
quote:

Ask Jon ...

Fair point. I guess I don't understand why there are so many, let's say, kidney transplants in comparison.

Because nobody has to die so that transplantation can happen.

My fitness trainer has one child, 6. Recently learned child’s kidneys are failing. Trainer is going to give her daughter a kidney.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's a reasonable point. You can't live without a heart, though (although each lung organ donor can donate two lungs, is a single lung transplant a common thing? I don't know anywhere near as much as I should about this stuff.).

Is the number of potential organ donors really fewer than 10,000, or is there a much larger donor pool, but the organs aren't healthy enough to use? Or is it that matches are that difficult to find, so many organs go unused?

So, a little Googling, and here's part of the answer:

quote:
In 2018, 17,500 donors brought new life to recipients and their families.

https://www.donatelife.net/sta...0donated%20in%20time.

I couldn't tell whether that number included living donations. I am surprised the number of donors isn't larger. Just car crashes ... that's 38,000 deaths per year. But some percentage aren't donors, and maybe another group is composed of those whose organs suffer too much damage. And then there's this statistic:

quote:
8,000 deaths occur every year in the U.S. because organs are not donated in time.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it’s complicated. And some communities won’t participate due to lack of trust or religion.