well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Quick! Your February vacation recommendations desired
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick! Your February vacation recommendations desired
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I logged on just to ask about this.

TSA is still working but there are reports that TSA workers are calling in sick. Those jobs don't pay much and the people who work at them will not last long with no pay check.

I assume Customs is still operating but I don't know at what level. Air traffic controllers are working but if the shutdown goes on long enough they may end up working with reduced staff.

At the very least I'd expect delays.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
FYI

quote:
In an advisory released at the start of the shutdown, the Bureau of Consular Affairs said that "scheduled passport and visa services in the United States and at our US Embassies and Consulates overseas will continue during the lapse in appropriations as the situation permits."

A US State Department official said facilities "will remain open as long as there are sufficient fees to support operations."

Domestic passport agencies located in government buildings affected by a lapse in appropriations may be closed to the public, the official said.

Calls and inquiries will still be accepted by the National Visa Center, National Passport Information Center and Kentucky Consular Center, the Bureau of Consular Affairs advisory said.

The bureau's website will not be updated, with the exception of urgent security information, the advisory said.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see any effects on my recent trip, returning 12/30 through JFK. That was what, 10 days into the shutdown?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post