well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How's by you the weather? And how are you handling your home heating?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's by you the weather? And how are you handling your home heating?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say what my preferences and expenses are. Giving in my need for warmth, I set my thermostat to at least 70 and sometimes 72 in days. However, I ought to say that with our poor window/doors closings and variable ductwork by room, that 70+ setting is unlikely to be that throughout the house.

So I supplement it as needed (by room habitation) with oil-filled electric radiators and lately with son here, that little propane heaters (it was originally bought in the aftermath of the hurricane/tornado outage two years ago - a lifesaver).

Just deciding to give away my circular kerosene heater which for a long time was our emergency heat source, but reconciling myself to the impossibility of my using it safely (moving it in and outside as needed), why keep it as furniture? (Not to mention I can't figure out how to replace the wick...)

Nighttime settings vary, but often I let it go down to 55 hoping my own personal variability is accomodated by allowing enough time for it to heat the house up by when I get up. (Otherwise, it can take HOURS to reach a livable temperature, especially in this weather).

FTR I find electric blankets (only Biddeford deserves to be relied on) to be the best way to stay warm at night - and so warm, why bother to heat the whole house? Love the feeling of chilly ambient air, and toasty under covers.

I think oil is costing me close to $400/month (how to tell?) and electricity nearly $200. Maybe these mid-Winter months will shock me, though.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest an electric blanket. They're remarkably efficient for what they do.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Doesn't an electric mattress pad make more sense? Or at least sleeping on top of the electric blanket instead of under it? Because, y'know, physics.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Doesn't an electric mattress pad make more sense? Or at least sleeping on top of the electric blanket instead of under it? Because, y'know, physics.

I remember the instructions on electric blankets always said not to sleep on top of one while it was on - something to do with overheating.

Are heated mattress pads a thing?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We've been having a remarkably mild winter here, so far. I think today it's supposed to flirt with 50 degrees! I think we've had one night that went below freezing. A huge contrast from last year.

We keep the thermostat at 70 when we're home, 65 at night or when we're out. We have a smart thermostat, so everything happens more or less automatically.

I must say we bought a new heat pump (combo A/C and heater) last spring, and this winter has been far more comfortable, heat more balanced, and our bills are far lower. I realize that a lot of that is due to the milder temperatures, but I don't think it's the total explanation. We've been able to maintain the heat in the house even on our (relatively few) cold days so far.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have the thermostat programmed to 65 during the day and 55 at night. I prefer to sleep cold and if there's a room that gets too cold I turn on a space heater for a few minutes. It's been a balmy winter here so far. We finally got some real snow the past 24 hrs, but temperatures are moderate. Which means roads will melt and refreeze.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The storm past, for precipitation. Snow, mixed to frozen rain for a day with an hour here and there, and d high winds. Everything is frozen, doors, thick ice on car etc.

4 degrees at 4 pm today (Sunday was the precipitation) wind chill today -18; winds 30 with gusts to 35 again all nite it says.

Can't step out of the house. Storm door freezes shut, granite steps thick with ice. Can't imagine trying to get into the car with all the ice.

Electric heat is barely keeping downstairs at 70. No hat in old cellar so afraid of pipes freezing. I turn the kitchen faucets on about every 2 hrs.

I'd rather have snow.

Whine, wine!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh, my, LL. That's pretty awful weather.

Stay safe.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Well, since the husband is always cold, we're living high on the hog in our house. Nighttime and workdays (We're both gone all day, but don't tell the burglars!) the temp is set to 68°F. When we're home and up and about it's set to 72°F.

We are fortunate to have a well-insulated house with modern windows and doors. We have never spent over $200 in any month for either heating or cooling.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

I remember the instructions on electric blankets always said not to sleep on top of one while it was on - something to do with overheating.

Are heated mattress pads a thing?
Yes.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
68 was the standard 50 years ago. Where did this come from? Who chose it?

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Winters in the olden days.

Sorry, but it's a NYT piece and will require a subscription or a little work to access for non-subscribers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...lizzards-photos.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Snowed overnight both Saturday night and last night. Just got back in from clearing off the driveway and deck in the back so Dogzilla can get out.

Now we look forward to a major deep freeze. I remember the 1985 record lows. It was brutal.

quote:
In Chicago, the coldest temperatures of the year will arrive midweek. After seeing a high around 34 on Monday at O’Hare International Airport, temperatures will drop to near zero before the end of the day, according to the National Weather Service. By Tuesday night, temperatures are expected to take another plunge, to 23 below zero, flirting with Chicago’s coldest temperature ever: minus 27 on Jan. 20, 1985.

Temperatures are forecast to inch up to a daytime high of about minus 14 on Wednesday — the first subzero high temperature in five years and the coldest winter high ever recorded in Chicago — before dipping, again, to about minus 21 overnight. The coldest daytime high in Chicago was minus 11 on Christmas Eve 1983.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190127-story.html

The dog booties are already out of storage; it's been below zero for the last several nights.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just got an oil delivery last week. The last delivery was in mid-December 2017. According to the delivery ticket, they put 294 gallons in the tank. It's a 300-gallon tank.

I think their computer algorithm that schedules deliveries needs a minor adjustment.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was a balmy 45 or 50. I should have gone out on the bike but had too many other things to do.

Today it's back to 30. Of course I should go out anyway but have not, at least not yet.

It's supposed to get messy (snow, rain) Tuesday night. But NYC has had very little precipitation this winter. I don't miss it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post