well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How's by you the weather? And how are you handling your home heating?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's by you the weather? And how are you handling your home heating?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Amanda, one more thing...

There are ventless gas fireplaces; I can't stand the smell of those, either. I remember walking into a local fireplace shop and having to turn around and walk out because they had one on display.

Here's an overview of those units; they share many of the characteristics of the portable indoor propane heaters:

quote:

Ventless fireplace health risks

While no deaths from vent-free fireplace incidents have been reported, NACHI says, some municipalities have restricted or outlawed vent-free fireplaces. The District of Columbia bans the fireplaces only in bedrooms or bathrooms, but Virginia and Maryland don’t restrict them. California banned ventless fireplaces because of the risks, but no other states outlaw their use.

“They put out tons of heat and they’re 100 percent efficient, but they use oxygen in the room and put out carbon monoxide, and they smell terrible,” says Bill Yeager, owner of Yeager Gas Fireplace Service in Fredericksburg, Virginia. “It’s like a car running in the house,” Yeager says. He says he had a ventless fireplace in his own home for five years and installs and services them, but he typically steers customers to other options.

https://www.angieslist.com/art...-fireplaces-safe.htm

edit: It all boils down to chemistry. There isn't any way around it: When you burn fossil fuels you use oxygen and produce carbon monoxide.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37724 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We spent a bunch on a Jotul ventless natural gas fireplace/stove. Never noticed a smell when we used it in our old house. Put out tons of heat - enough to mess with the thermostat a room away. If we used it too much, the rest of the house would cool down. Adjustable flame size, we usually used the lower settings.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7543 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It looks like Jotul no longer makes ventless units.

Their products are generally very well regarded.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37724 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Even the dog has static cling.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Poor doggo.

First the indignity of purple booties and now a bad fur day. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34820 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Those are maine-worthy temperatures - I am sorry you have to suffer through them! I worry about the homeless people and all the animals people leave outside. Coldest day I had to do barn chores in was -26, and it was no fun.

Barn chores in Wisconsin:

https://www.jsonline.com/story...25-below/2720641002/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Might want to turn up the heat a bit:

Is this a thing?

Posts: 34820 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I learned that there is stuff you can spray in your door locks so they don't freeze. I would not survive in cold temperatures, out of sheer ignorance.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I learned that there is stuff you can spray in your door locks so they don't freeze. I would not survive in cold temperatures, out of sheer ignorance.

Interesting tip for dealing with a frozen lock on a car door...squirt some hand sanitizer on your key and insert it into the lock. Let it sit for 30 seconds, then gently try to open the lock.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Is this a thing?

Certainly not in these parts. Ice storms are actually fairly uncommon here.

All that notwithstanding, this kind of thing requires a special set of circumstances, one of those being that the tensile strength of the ice sheet has to exceed the vacuum pressure of the sheet against the surface upon which it formed. That's a pretty highly unlikely combination.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Oh, and it's 45 and drizzling here. Quite the change from just a few days ago!

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Is this a thing?

Certainly not in these parts. Ice storms are actually fairly uncommon here.

All that notwithstanding, this kind of thing requires a special set of circumstances, one of those being that the tensile strength of the ice sheet has to exceed the vacuum pressure of the sheet against the surface upon which it formed. That's a pretty highly unlikely combination.

Tell that to the roof of my car, which regularly had such sheets on it in Massachusetts. And yes, they came off in large whole chunks.

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Went out for a little bike ride today, very short as I am not in good exercise-shape. It sure felt good.

Temps were in the 40s and 50s, which is fine with me. Will get into the 60s tomorrow!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13772 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Don't remember where I read it, but the idea was that we're in for ever shorter but increasingly fierce Winters.

I don't hate that notion.

Guess we'll finally have to rescind the old saw, "Everybody's always talking about the weather but noone's doing anything about it."

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
It looks like Jotul no longer makes ventless units.

Their products are generally very well regarded.

Around here propane costs $4/gallon in the type of tank used for gas grills. I know electricity costs less in the Midwest than it does here, or at least it does in Ohio.

Are these portable propane heaters really that much cheaper to run than an electric radiator style heater?