well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone interested in a Castle?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone interested in a Castle?
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I've lived on remote islands. I think I checked that off my list.

Getting medical care can be problem in Hawaii (a big one because the list of what can only be done on Oahu is extensive). Many people who can afford it will skip Oahu and go to California to get medical care.

I like the listing but even if I could afford it I couldn't live there.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Easy access to Lerwick!

Too late, it’s listed as sold.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Well, I don’t know.

Does it have granite countertops? Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
What, no moat? (I guess the ocean surrounding it, served as a kind of super moat against marauders.)

More to the point, though, for all the great halls and bedrooms, I see no mention of bathrooms! Eeker

Compare it to all the modern McMansions which seem to be built with a ratio of at least two bathrooms per bedroom, it's pretty contrary to modern tastes.

OTOH having read through the fairytale like description, it really sounds like a dream come true for someone rich enough to make it into the self-supporting kingdom it promises capable of being.

I'll bet some survivalist billionaire bought it for his family and entourage. Looks like THE most climate change impervious location imaginable (the owner can scoff at rising oceans and global warming!)

Really magical environment with immense acreage,
a greenhouse and wonderful gardens. Perhaps it could be run by wind power, with its own small airfield. I see now it supports 200 purebred ewes and incredibly it seems to come with furniture!

(Wonder how the present owners [excluding the brand new ones] - who bought and reworked in 1993 - kept warm. And don't ask about the internet - perhaps a blessing! (That said, just out of curiosity, could it actually somehow be hooked up to the internet with a tower and/or satellite connection?)

For all its isolation, it's still a bargain at only a little over $2 MM (with the British lb low against the dollar it was a good time to buy). Wonder how long it was on the market...

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post