Notify
Tools

LAX:CLE
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Coming in late here, so first of, congratulations on your (soon to be) new family member!

Re house hunting,
quote:
I haven’t decided if the house xtra space afforded by a basement offsets all of the various problems they can have.

Hmm, that's a good question -- which I am not qualified to answer of course, but just in terms of someone who grew in houses with basements... For one thing, if it's an area with tornadoes, you want a basement for safety. Also, don't basements make it easier to do some maintenance or renovation because you have ready access from below?

Anyway, beyond space, those are the things that I think of when I think of basements.

But yes, the water problems are significant. Given the age of our house, I imagine at some point we will probably want to either install a sump pump in ours, or else do foundation work. So far though (knock on wood) we don't have any real issues. Other than sometimes a musty smell, which I try to combat by running a dehumidifier, which I complain about b/c it pushes the electric bill up. :P

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Are mayflies the same as midges? We’ve seen those and the way they swarm is amazing.

It’s only a week or two at a time, right?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Happy about a new baby!

Slab? Not for me. So many reasons for not in the north. And 2nd house might Has No privacy.

1st is more appealing to me but has past problems. 30 ft lake spray is possible.

Read about lake problems. Check on insurance costs.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The privacy thing here is interesting. Hardly anyone has fences. Very different from CA and I can’t figure out what people do with their dogs.

No one has patio covers either.

I hadn’t thought about insurance. I’ll look in to it.

Thanks!

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not the same as midges. Mayflies look like mosquitoes but don't bite. They move around in huge clouds and get in your eyes, ears and mouth. They stick to the spider webs on the house, making it look like the Addams Family lives there. They cling to the dog fur so when the dogs come in they carry mayflies with them. We've actually left early from vacations because they were such a nuisance, but of course the locals just live with them.

From the mayfly link:

quote:
Sometime around the middle of May and lasting through June and into July, there is a plague of insects that strikes the cities, towns, and villages along Lake Erie's shoreline. This plague is outdone only by those described in the Bible (or so it seems that way to townsfolk) of great hordes of insects invading the land and laying it to waste. Fortunately, this insect is totally harmless... unless you are sliding on them in your car. They are drawn to any light source - coating the sides of buildings and telephone poles. They are actually a handsome bug... windswept transparent wings, two long graceful tails no thicker than a hair, streamlined body... the main problem... they stink like dead fish! What am I talking about, you ask.... The now famous Lake Erie Mayflies!

Mayflies usually live for 24-72 hours. Don't forget that they've already spent 1-2 years on the bottom of the lake as a nymph living burrowed in the mud. Within that three days, though, they manage to get into about everything you can imagine. You will find dead mayflies lying around on the sidewalks, in spider webs, on window ledges, etc. They'll go anywhere where there's light at night. Wear a white shirt outside at night and you'll see what I mean.

Many mayflies stack up on the streets below street lights. This is where they land after they get tired of flying around the light for hours on end. Once on the street, they are usually run over by cars and make this "snapping" sound and it's all over. If its dry, they turn into a dust after several hours of traffic. If it's raining, they turn into a thick soup that smells something awful (read 'real dead fish'). The City of Port Clinton has gained approval from the Environmental Protection Agency, and a grant from the Ohio Lake Erie Commission, for the very first mayfly composting site in America! Now isn't that quite a claim to fame for the city that's already The Walleye Capital of the World!!.

I guess the walleye are the consolation prize.... ThumbsUp

eta: Here's the calendar of first/last sightings for recent years.

http://www.mayflynews.net/news.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
In our Door County neighborhood most people just let dogs run loose. I find it really annoying when a big dog, even friendly, races up to you out of nowhere. But that's the vibe up there.

We leashed and walked our (city/suburban) dogs.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I bet you are just giddy with the difference in home prices. I like the first one, but it does sound like it has challenges you do not need to take on in retirement.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to balance the desire to live on the lake with the negatives involved.

5 miles inland I can get a brand new 1800 sf ranch with a full basement on 1/2 acre for $250K.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
The lakefront prices surprise me for how low they are. But still, coming from Yorba you should have room in the budget. The question is do you want to work on it...my guess is no.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I am kind of looking forward to working on whatever we buy but replacing all of the floor joists is a much larger project than I’d want to tackle.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
https://fox8.com/2019/06/12/la...ers-property-owners/

https://www.news5cleveland.com...blems-for-homeowners

Not sure I would be interested in waterfront property there.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new grandchild.

Now persuade Kim et famille to move to a better climate.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Any chance you could keep a condo in california to escape to in January? I never thought the life of a snowbird was for me, but after two years in northern Maine and already two major winter storms here when it’s supposed to be fall (I know, I know, in Montana, any weather is possible), I’m rethinking...

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Greg and Tori live in Scottsdale and we have a grandchild there too. The trick is going to be closing two houses in two different states in one 1031 Exchange.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
First and last snow in CLE:

https://www.cleveland.com/data...snows_in_clevel.html

Average annual snowfall is only 68 inches.

Snowfall info for past 20 years. If you click on a particular entry, it talks about what happened over the season and shows maps of where the snowfall occurred.

https://www.weather.gov/cle/Climate_Snowfall

eta: I looked for the Cleveland version of this table of snowfall by year, ranked from least to most, but couldn't find it.

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Chicago_Seasonal_Snow

Bazootiehead-in-training