well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lame duck period

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lame duck period
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Imagine the level of incompetence and corruption we’ll see from Trump during his lame duck period, when he’s angry at the country for rejecting him.

And just the acting out. Not just on twitter either.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Coupled with Mitch McConnell positively loving the idea of handing the worst possible economy and the most devastating possible health environment off to a Democratic Congress and Democratic president.

I actually think that would backfire. It would allow Democrats, in a national crisis, to do basically anything they wanted to do for at least a year. That would include spending literally trillions of borrowed dollars (at a zero interest rate) to enact green deals, bail out blue cities, restore generous federal unemployment top offs, and put millions of people to work in construction on infrastructure, all the while laughing derisively at GOP Senators who have rediscovered their "deficit hawk" credentials.

Oh, and PR/DC, and possibly four new sets of robes.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Few things are more dangerous than a wounded animal, especially a lame duck.

Stephen Miller and Co. will go full scorched earth. I'm sure he's already working 24x7 to come up with ideas for further oppressing black and brown people and immigrants.

They will foment violence by white supremacists.

More extrajudicial abductions--and who knows what else--in the "blue" cities and states.

I wouldn't be surprised if he looted and vandalized the White House. That little thing about taking home a few souvenirs from the ambassador's residence in Paris will look like petty shoplifting.

I-1 will attempt to pardon himself, every member of his family, and several cabinet members and close friends for anything they did, may have done, and may will do.

There is word now that he will fire Wray immediately after losing the election because Wray would not open investigations into I-1's "political enemies". I-1 and Barr will appoint some loyal, unqualified pit bull who will open a slew of investigations like the current one with John Durham investigating the Russia collusion investigation. Like that one, they will find nothing, but get pleasure from harassing and intimidating whoever they can think of. https://www.independent.co.uk/...lection-b915482.html

I-1 will declare the Democratic Party a terrorist organization.

Outright sabotage of healthcare in "blue" cities and states. Commandeering ventilators, PPE, and testing equipment that will be redeployed to states that voted for him.

I will not be surprised if he tries to declare Martial Law in order to stay in office.

Shall I go on?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30035 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Sigh. This is why I don’t sleep well.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I got a good solid three or four hours last night, myself.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30035 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wildfires and evacuations, the election, and Covid-19 bring to mind the curse- May you live in interesting times.
Friends know they have lost their house near Grand Lake. Grand Lake has been evacuated. It is going to burn. Estes Park is being evacuated. There is a list.
Winds are keeping it all north of me. We watch the smoke that rises from behind a very close ridge in the afternoons. Grim

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Awaiting my Canadian citizenship certificate which I applied for recently. I spoke with a Canadian immigration attorney who didn't see any problems with my application but it does take several months so I may not know until early 2021. Still, a nice thing to have - if just for the Canadian passport.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Wildfires and evacuations, the election, and Covid-19 bring to mind the curse- May you live in interesting times.
Friends know they have lost their house near Grand Lake. Grand Lake has been evacuated. It is going to burn. Estes Park is being evacuated. There is a list.
Winds are keeping it all north of me. We watch the smoke that rises from behind a very close ridge in the afternoons. Grim

I hadn't realized how bad the fires are in Colorado; I've been away from the news.

How are things looking today?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Awaiting my Canadian citizenship certificate which I applied for recently. I spoke with a Canadian immigration attorney who didn't see any problems with my application but it does take several months so I may not know until early 2021. Still, a nice thing to have - if just for the Canadian passport.

How recently did you apply? And don't you first have to be granted residency, then go live in Canada, then apply for citizenship later? Are you pulling our legs?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21315 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post