well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Omicron: The New Variant
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omicron: The New Variant
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The first SA doctor who noticed patients with different symptoms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gl...riant-says-symptoms/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37660 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Yeah, I've been reading a bit about this, very concerning.

We're all gonna get covid sooner or later. All we can do is get vaccinated, get boosters when appropriate, and get in the best possible shape we can so we're giving ourselves the best chance to get through to the other side. From what I've read, the best situation is to be fully vaccinated AND have survived a breakthrough. The only control we have is the bit about self care.

SK, I think I may have edited your post instead of replying to it. I’m so sorry.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
**** that, its the Nu variant.

Interesting. South African scientists were calling it the Nu variant. But I guess WHO already had a Nu and didn’t want to name it Xi so they skipped to the next letter.

WHO said today they skipped Nu becaise it is a homonym with New. And they skipped Xi because it’s a “common surname”. Ha.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Except that it is apparently far more dangerous than previous variants.

The normal course of disease mutation is toward milder forms. No guarantees, of course, but an existing disease rarely goes full Andromeda because that limits its spread. People who get really sick, or die, don't improve the survival odds of the virus.

Posts: 12478 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHO said today they skipped Nu becaise it is a homonym with New. And they skipped Xi because it’s a “common surname”. Ha.

Ha indeed. "Common" surname.

Posts: 12478 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SK, I think I may have edited your post instead of replying to it. I’m so sorry.

OMG thank you for posting that!! I totally thought I was losing my mind!!! I was doing all these mental gymnastics trying to figure out if maybe I had written that when I was in the middle my booster side effects, which didn't fit because of the timing, and I was seriously starting to question my mental soundness. ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

I was like "did I write that? That's not what I meant to write??" Confused

Especially because I would have included "good quality masks" Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18292 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Why would one pronounce it aamicron rather than ohmicron? When it’s the basis of the letter O?

O.me.cron.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Ha indeed. "Common" surname.

Particularly common among autocrats that WHO is beholden to.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13627 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
mark - Big Grin

And meanwhile, in Portugal...

quote:
Portugal detected 13 cases of the Omicron coronavirus variant on Monday, all involving players and staff of top division soccer club Belenenses SAD, one of whose players recently returned from South Africa, health authority DGS said.

https://www.reuters.com/busine...-variant-2021-11-29/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37660 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Particularly common among autocrats that WHO is beholden to.

Big Grin

One might even say, sheesh ... or is that Xi-sh.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thought Biden restored the Pandemic Agency. Have seen nothing from it.
No doubt Omicron is in the US. Anyone testing for it?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25663 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
From the NY Times.

quote:
the chief executive of Moderna, a vaccine maker, said in an interview that there could be a “material drop” in the effectiveness of current vaccines to the new variant. The executive, Stéphane Bancel, told The Financial Times that it might be months before an Omicron-specific vaccine could be produced at scale, but added that it would be risky to shift the company’s entire vaccine production while other variants are still prevalent.

Posts: 45719 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
material drop

What is a material drop? Does that just mean significant?

Can you link the article?

TIA!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18292 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
As world health officials turn their concern and attention toward a new coronavirus variant, Moderna's CEO says he expects "a material drop" in the effectiveness of the company's vaccine against Omicron.

A Financial Times interview with Chief Executive Stephane Bancel went live Tuesday morning, in which Bancel said, "There is no world, I think, where (the effectiveness) is the same level...we had with Delta."

Bancel went on, "I think it's going to be a material drop. I just don't know how much because we need to wait for the data. But all the scientists I've talked to...are like, this is not going to be good."

https://www.kctv5.com/news/loc...75-87d77a2a53ed.html

The FT article (paywall) that I suspect everyone is quoting:

https://www.ft.com/content/27d...a5-8e06-72e432e0838f

Bazootiehead-in-training