well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Portland

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portland
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Police Inaction

The city administration and police DO have something to answer for. Their inaction.

quote:
People in the far-right crowd came armed with paintball guns, metal rods, aluminum bats, fireworks, pepper spray, rifles and handguns. Some people in the opposing left-leaning crowd brought rocks, fireworks and bottles filled with chemical solutions. Both crowds sported shields and helmets.

The two groups sparred for more than two hours, as people exchanged blows, fired paintballs at each other and blasted chemicals indiscriminately into the crowd. People lobbed fireworks back and forth. At least one person was hit in the abdomen with a device that flashed and exploded, causing bleeding.

quote:
As the brawls unfolded, Portland police officers remained at a distance. They made several announcements over loudspeakers, encouraging the crowds to “self-monitor for criminal activity,” even as people beat others with sticks, and at least two right-wing activists brandished handguns.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I just posted the same thing in Jon's "education gap" thread.

Here's how OPB covered it:
Same story, less hysteria

This has been going on for at least 2 years.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
From the less hysterical article ... Wink

quote:
Within an hour of meeting, protesters began to push each other and throw objects. Some demonstrators on the pro-police side fired paintball guns and deployed pepper spray on counterdemonstrators. Other protesters used baseball bats. Many people wore helmets and body armor as they punched, kicked and tore at each other.

At least one pro-police demonstrator was filmed pointing a firearm at counterprotesters.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Pro-police = Patriot Prayer, Proud Boys, (maybe) Bugaloo Boys or whatever they're called.

Pro-police <> BLM protesters

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Not sure I would agree that using terms like "pro-police" is either more accurate or more neutral.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
No kidding, especially when you know that many pro-BLM people (including bipoc) would like to see more, but different, police presence in their neighborhoods.

It's infuriating how we let the right take over the messaging for us.