well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bone Broth

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bone Broth
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Ever since WTG told me how easy it is to make broth in the IP I have been making a batch pretty much every week. It makes everything better - rice, soup, vegetables - anyplace you might use water.

Looking at techniques online led me to "Bone Broth", which it turns out is broth that cooks long enough that the gelatin comes out of the bones. It's tasty but it takes a long time - I've seen recipes that call for simmering some 36 hours. The IP cuts that down to 4-5 hours (beef) or 2 hours (chicken).

Now I see it's some kind of fad - Hipsters like it. There is an article about it here. It's crazy expensive ready-made in the grocery - more than good gin. Not a bad profit for something made from what used to be ground up to use as fertilizer.

What's up with this stuff? Was it something hipsters liked before it became popular? If they move to something else will the price of bones drop back down?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I didn't know it was a thing, but should have when I saw Bone Broth in the packaged soup aisle at Costco.

Kind of related story....we went to a Pakistani restaurant years ago for a buffet. I saw a pan of something covered with tons of rich curry sauce. I fished around with the serving spoon and came up with a bone. Figured oh well, all the meat fell off. So I reached for another blob. Another bone. Tried one more time, and you guessed it, another bone. Then I looked up at the card with the name of the dish that was supposed to be in the pan.

Bone Curry. Seriously.

Good use of *all* parts of the animal.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37796 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Chicken bone broth is said to be best made with chicken feet.

Naw...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post