well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Yet another Rachel Dolezal story

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another Rachel Dolezal story
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
This one a grad student.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/...g-about-being-black/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
People have lied about their backgrounds forever for all sorts of reasons. These days the lies are much more likely to catch up with them.

Shrug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
There are no rules against anybody claiming to be Black. There is no legal definition of Black.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are no rules against anybody claiming to be Black.

No, but a lot of job hiring docs, scholarship apps etc. have clauses that applicants be truthful. If falsifying a degree or other credential is grounds for dismissal/disqualification, it's appropriate to treat it the same when the issue is falsifying one's race...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18473 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
There are no rules against anybody claiming to be Black. There is no legal definition of Black.

So, what’s your point?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Academics worry about the damnedest things!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what’s your point?

Indeed.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18473 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
There are no rules against anybody claiming to be Black.

No, but a lot of job hiring docs, scholarship apps etc. have clauses that applicants be truthful. If falsifying a degree or other credential is grounds for dismissal/disqualification, it's appropriate to treat it the same when the issue is falsifying one's race...

If there's no legal definition of something, how is one proven to have lied about claiming it?

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
So, what’s your point?

Indeed.

The statements of fact I made have applicability to lots of things. This situation here where a bad person did a bad thing is just one. My point was not that this person isn't bad.