well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    OK, techies....edit: Hey, markj!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, techies....edit: Hey, markj!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We just lost Turner Classic Movies from our channel lineup. The crooks at Crapcast moved it from just about everyone's lineup to a separate Sports and Entertainment package that costs an extra $10 a month, which I currently refuse to pay just on principle.

We have a ton of movies on (mostly) DVD and Blu-ray. I'd like to be able to view our stuff on our Samsung smart TVs or our iPads.

I know there are issues copying the movies themselves as far as copy protection is concerned, and I'm not sure where to ultimately store them so I can access them from the above-mentioned devices. I only want to watch them from home and don't need access for travel.

I'm a Windows gal when it comes to laptop/desktop devices, and have a couple of iPads.

I know zatz about NAS, which I think is one option for me. And it seems the term "home media server" is relevant.

Any thoughts? Mark? Ax? Bueller? Anybody?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Bueller.

Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
*bump* for the weekend, in case folks drop by....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
While you are waiting for an appropriate and more technically correct answer, what I did for a short-term fix for a while was just plug my laptop into the back of the TV using an HDMI cable. Doesn’t help you with the iPad, but does allow you to watch a movie with your TV’s sound and picture, by just plugging the disk into your laptop.

You probably already know this, but it’s all I got…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Comcast did the same thing here. What a bunch of idiots. Cable is losing more and more market share to streaming services, and this is their brilliant response?

They've basically pulled all the sports programs (non-network) into a "sports package," but I didn't realize that TCM was part of the package. So blatantly money-grubbing.

Ugh.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Sorry ... I have not look into “home media server” (or NAS for that purpose) for a long time and don’t have anything helpful to share on that topic. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mark...any thoughts?....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about this subject, but I found this:

http://bluraydtstruehd.com/201...ray-on-media-server/

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark! Looks like a good step-by-step guide...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I recall landline telephone companies cutting services and raising prices when they faced competition.
Have not had a landline since 2006.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post