well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Time to resurrect an old favorite recipe

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to resurrect an old favorite recipe
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I have some butternut squash and carrots. And tricolor quinoa from Trader Joe's.

jon posted this years ago. It's still out there on Epicurious.

I like the quinoa part of the recipe as a standalone, but it duplicates a lot of the ingredients that are in the stew, so I'll just make the quinoa plain.

Quinoa with Moroccan Winter Squash and Carrot Stew

Ingredients for stew:
2 T olive oil
1 c chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 t Hungarian Sweet Paprika
1 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 t ground coriander
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t turmeric
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t cayenne pepper
pinch saffron
1 cup water
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, drained, or use peeled and diced fresh tomatoes
2 T fresh lemon juice
3 cups peeled and diced butternut squash, 1" cubes
2 cups peeled and diced carrots, 3/4" cubes

Ingredients for Quinoa:

1 c. Quinoa
2 T olive oil (or 1 T o.o. and 1 T butter)
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. finely chopped carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t salt
1/2 t turmeric
2 cups water
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 t fresh mint, chopped

Preparation for stew:

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Mix in paprika and next 8 ingredients, then add water, tomato, and lemon juice. Bring to boil, add squash and carrot, cover and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Preparation for quinoa:

Rinse quinoa and drain. Heat oil (and butter if used) over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Cover and cook until vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and turmeric, saute 1 minute. Add quinoa, stir 1 minute, and add water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.

To serve:

Add half of cilantro and half of mint to hot stew (re-heat if needed). Spoon quinoa onto a platter, forming a well in the center. Spoon stew into well and sprinkle remaining herbs over.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Didn't have any plain diced tomatoes, but the ones with green chiles worked great.

Classic German bohnensalat (fresh green bean salad) on the side. Green beans from my garden, recipe from my Mom's best friend's German mom. My mom used to make this all the time when I was growing up.

Recipe is simple and every German cook has his/her own version....ours includes cooked green beans mixed with some finely chopped onion, a little oil, splash of white vinegar, and salt to taste.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am going to have to try this...We have bumper crops of all sorts at the farm..right now I am working through tomatoes.. Mill City Grows

Squash up next.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That looks great, wtg!

I'm going to try that green bean recipe.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Yummy ThumbsUp

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post