well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Have I been pwned?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have I been pwned?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Website where you can enter your email address and see if there have been any security breaches that included that address. I found two.

Have I been pwned?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34875 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Why do I have a nagging distrust of places that purport to tell me this if I only enter some personal information?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13529 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing. Looked around quite a bit and it appears to be legit.

All you enter is your email address so there is not a lot of risk.

Posts: 34875 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Unless you mind being added to 3,539 new email advertising lists ...

Posts: 12519 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Unless you mind being added to 3,539 new email advertising lists ...

I signed up for it a couple of years ago, and haven't noticed an uptick in junk email.

Posts: 45728 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mark the first one as spam and you’ll never see another.

No big deal.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I don't see any reason to suspect this site's ulterior motives - seems to be offering a service. Namely, one that saves passwords, and here that generates unique passwords per account as they say. Haven't looked into it in detail, but I'm guessing it starts off free only eventually to have a pricetag for greater convenience in using it.

I use Last Pass right now and it serves me well. The only liability I see with the Pawned service is there's no easy way to save their vault of passwords (G-d knows how complex the Passwords are!), so one becomes wholly dependent on them in short order. (All but you tech savvy persons able to save them elsewhere.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Bad sign?

If you check your number of pwnages, you'll get a reply email to check your email's authenticity.

Bottom of that, is a notice that the page is sponsored by the founder and another saying "this email was sent by..." such and such an IP address.

Along with that, it offers to tell you more about the owner of the address (link).

AFAIK much (all?) of the info is incorrect most notably my home address. I've had outright spammers contacting me with better info.

What to make of this inaccuracy... Confused

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are breaches, and there are megabreaches, and there’s Equifax. But a newly revealed trove of leaked data tops them all for sheer volume: 772,904,991 unique email addresses, over 21 million unique passwords, all recently posted to a hacking forum.

The data set was first reported by security researcher Troy Hunt, who maintains Have I Been Pwned, a way to search whether your own email or password has been compromised by a breach at any point. (Trick question: It has.) The so-called Collection #1 is the largest breach in Hunt's menagerie, and it’s not particularly close.

https://www.wired.com/story/co...-accounts-passwords/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37828 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post