well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house? (diamond in the rough edition)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house? (diamond in the rough edition)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
About the first bungalow style house in the post:

Spec sheet says 2 attached garage spaces but I don’t see the garage in the photos. Is the garage attached to the back of the house and accessed through an alley?

It’s certainly in a good location, near the downtown area of Arlington Heights and the Metra train station.

Spec sheet says it has “Heating (Unspecified type)”. You can see radiators in most of the room photos. You’ll need to have portable humidifiers for the rooms during the heating season. It has no cooling either. This means a costly conversion to a forced air hvac system or spacepac system or use portable window air conditioners in the rooms.

I’ve looked at many bungalow style houses. The staircase leading to the second floor is usually the suicide type of staircase in which the vertical portion of the stair is high but the depth portion of the stair is short. One false step and it’s down you go.

Pic 24 shows the front of the house with the driveway on the right, but there's a dumpster there. The plan for the first floor, pic 29 of the 31 available, shows the location of the garage.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I notice that listings without photos of the garage are very common.

I always assumed that was because the garage is where people put all their junk while they're trying to get the house prettied up for listing photos.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I notice that listings without photos of the garage are very common.

I always assumed that was because the garage is where people put all their junk while they're trying to get the house prettied up for listing photos.

No basement photos of the first house either.

Never a good sign.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
No basement photos of the first house either.

Never a good sign.

Yeah, I would be more worried about basement photos than garages, just because more can go wrong, and be harder to fix, in a basement.

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So the bungalow sold for a bit over asking:

https://www.realtor.com/reales..._M76182-87053#photo6

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Meant to post this MCM ranch a while ago. I have been walking past it for years when I'm on my daily constitutional. It's got great curb appeal and it's one of those houses I thought I'd love to see the interior of.

Talk about disappointment....more rough than diamond...the floor plan is, um, interesting...

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...-60004/3324210_zpid/

Original asking was $850K, dropped to $800K, sold for $755K.

Good luck to them. I think they're going to need it.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Whole place needs redecorated; kitchen needs gutted. terrible layout. Looks like it was last done in the 80's.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're potentially looking for a place in Canada, and I've noticed just totally random problems with photos. High on the list:

1) photos of "your view" that are taken with a telephoto lens focussed to the point where the picture is practically pixellated, because the view of the mountain/ocean/downtown is actually miles away

2) photos that are missing for significantly important parts of the house--like no photos of the bedrooms, or the kitchen

3) photos that have no distinguishing characteristics, like a photo showing just a corner of a room, labeled "primary bedroom"

4) overly staged and stylized presentation, like one showing a model tastefully arrayed across the sofa, sipping a cup of tea, like "if you buy this house, you will become this gorgeous human and have all the time to sit around sipping tea and relaxing"

5) photos of bathrooms with the kitty litter box as the dominant feature

6) stock photos of a multi-unit apartment complex, where the photos are obviously not taken from the same unit, and are most likely not of the unit they're trying to rent/sell... like a compilation of the best view from one unit's kitchen, the best bathroom layout from another unit, the nicest floors from a third unit, etc., etc.

7) My personal fave: text that says, "hurry, this one won't last" next to the "time on MLS - 436 days"

Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The New York Times has a column with people looking for a specific type of apartment, house, etc. in a specific location. They offer three alternatives and ask, which one would you pick? Which one would they pick?

The whole exercise is fun but silly, because quite often the important criteria that the buyer used to decide wasn't disclosed to you. You also only get two pictures, one outside, one inside.

The interesting point as it relates here ... sometimes the pictures indicate that they are staged virtually. I wonder how often that happens in the real estate market these days.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
sometimes the pictures indicate that they are staged virtually

I notice this very rarely with local listings but more often when looking at swanky listings or listings in popular locales.

Sometimes it's done very poorly, sometimes you almost don't catch it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Nina, sometimes the really weirdo listings (like the litter box ones you mention) seem to have fascinating backstories.

I saw one recently where the large house, located in an area that I believe is expensive, was just trashed. It looked like a landlord's nightmare. The interesting thing is that no effort had been made to move the junk or wipe away any filth. None. In fact, the photographer seemed to be seeking out junk and filth.

We're talking about the New York suburbs, where hiring somebody to clean the place wouldn't just move the place faster but could presumably raise the selling price substantially. (I think. Maybe I just don't understand real estate, but their neighbors are sprucing up their houses to sell.)

This listing was so bad that I started dreaming up scenarios. Was it a foreclosure? It seemed to me that the bank would spend a few dollars to clean it up.

The piece de resistance was a photo that was a bird's-eye-view down into the nastiest toilet I've ever seen outside of a backwoods truck stop.

The best explanation I can come up with is that the person who's living in the house lost it in a divorce and is using the photos to get back at the spouse who can't afford wait to sell it until they can take possession and spruce it up.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

The best explanation I can come up with is that the person who's living in the house lost it in a divorce and is using the photos to get back at the spouse who can't afford wait to sell it until they can take possession and spruce it up.

I'm not sure if that's true, but I love it as a possible explanation. Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post