well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I never thought I'd taste oranges this good again

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I never thought I'd taste oranges this good again
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
It's winter and citrus fruits are in season. For years I've found the quality to be inconsistent.

Mr WTG and I were at Trader Joe's today and picked up a bag of Sky Valley Heirloom Navel Oranges.

Oh. My. God. Oranges like I remembered oranges tasting.

quote:
Sky Valley heirloom Navel oranges were planted over 75 years ago in the shadow of Smith Mountain near Orange Cove, using old line Washington Navel bud wood on sour orange root stock. Fruit coming from this single location, which encompasses 280 acres, makes for a consistent and extraordinary taste, the company said. An heirloom Navel orange harvested from Sky Valley today will have the same rich flavor profile as one picked next week or two months from now.

Only fruit from the Sky Valley Ranch is sold under the "Sky Valley" label. The oranges are from one ranch, in one location, in a single micro-climate, which ensures consistency throughout the season instead of solely relying on Brix readings or the age of the tree. When the harvest on the Sky Valley ranch is done, the season ends for Sky Valley heirloom Navels.

More about the oranges:

http://www.theproducenews.com/...oranges-now-shipping

Run, don't walk, to your nearest TJ's. Or other local grocer...you can go to Sky Valley's website and they have a locator for stores that carry the product.

(Californians eta: and Floridians, stop laughing. Good citrus fruit is a carp shoot around here...)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37752 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I also ordered a pack of orange peelers. A former coworker had one of the strip (long) peelers and it works like a charm. You use the little cutter at one end to score the orange and then you run the long curved blade under the skin to finish peeling. The little box-shaped hole is a scraper that is used to scrape any pith that clings to the orange.

We used to have one, but it broke long ago. This set was a deal on Amazon, so I just ordered it. I've never tried the round or mouse versions, only the strip model, but for the price the set was a no-brainer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A1PNAFCPZT0PNX&psc=1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37752 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Our local grocer carries heirloom oranges--not sure of where they are from. BUT I agree, heirlooms are the oranges I remember eating as a kid. Yummmmmm.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've had two somewhat disappointing bags of "Cuties" clementines from Costco. Several of them are kinda dry - the segments are separated from the peel. Also two today that looked like they got poked with something... surprised they weren't going moldy.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I love love love great navel oranges. headed to TJs

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13520 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I visited a friend in Florida last week. She has a Honeybelle tangelo tree that she just planted a couple of years ago and we ate some of its first fruit.

Good lord. That was the most delicious citrus I've ever had. If that tree grows to full size and keeps making those golden treasures, she's going to be very happy!

Since we can't grow oranges here, Quirt is going to Trader Joe's to get the ones you recommend.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
(Californians eta: and Floridians, stop laughing. Good citrus fruit is a carp shoot around here...)

It can be a carp shoot here as well. A lot depends on the weather.

This is a bumper year for lemons, and my Satsuma Mandarin orange tree is producing a huge crop of the best fruit I have ever gotten off of that tree.

My Bearss limes didn't do so well. They ripened to yellow before they got large enough to really use. The navel oranges are good but not great and the blood orange tree stopped producing entirely about 5 years ago.

A lot of our store-bought oranges (and nearly all of our orange juice) comes from Florida. Oranges grown here are mostly exported.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34830 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post