well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Phone trouble
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phone trouble
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
So, my Motorola G Power (it has a lot of power if it's sitting on a desk being looked at- after that all bets are off) has decided that 94% battery is the new 100%, and information about battery usage (a graph that's still there, doing nothing) will no longer work.

Motorola is changing the software about once a week. It's a little difficult to follow.

The pixil density is so low that without my reading glasses, it's kind of a blur.

Full disclosure: I bought this phone as a "made for Amazon" product for $279.

SO thinks I expect too much from phones. There have been many phones I've liked. This isn't one of them.

/Whine

Edit: apparently, my phone's battery is 94% at all times. Not liking this at all. I consider this a real problem. I could be out somewhere and my phone dies. That's dangerous.

Any advice?

Posts: 24712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I feel your pain.

Pocket battery chargers, or battery cases can bring peace of mind. I use one on my old, old phone that I use as a dedicated piano tuning device.

Other than that going down the google investigative hole for your specific model can sometimes find what others have done and if anyone has been successful.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
If "running out of battery power" is your greatest fear, then get a "power bank" ... that's the battery to back up your phone's battery. Good luck!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
After lousy experiences with a Kindle and a Fire TV gizmo I think Amazon electronics are built as cheaply as possible.
"made for Amazon", imo, should be viewed as a warning label.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
After lousy experiences with a Kindle and a Fire TV gizmo I think Amazon electronics are built as cheaply as possible.
"made for Amazon", imo, should be viewed as a warning label.
This is neither here nor there ...

This reminds me of the time I was shopping for a new dishwasher. There was a BOSCH model that has a version that is made exclusively for (and sold exclusively by) Lowes that is just a bit cheaper than the standard BOSCH model with almost identical specifications, and Lowes ran a sale on that Lowes-specific model. I was skeptical so I paid more for the standard model rather than the Lowes-specific version.

I have a couple of Kindle devices, I don't really have any problem with them. Though I also do not use them that much.

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I always buy Apple. Always happy.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I bought a Google Pixel 4A. I wanted it because of the minimalist design, it fits in one hand, the OLED display (I haven't had that since my Samsung S7), and the 440 ppi.

I don't expect to miss this Motorola at all. Lol.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love my Pixel--started with the smaller Pixel 1, now have the smaller Pixel 3. I also enjoy its smaller footprint (handprint?) and the fact that it isn't an overpriced apple device. (Sorry, Jack Smiler ).

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Speaking as someone who is frequently in remote places for extended periods without the ability to keep a phone charged. Turning off wifi saves battery. Airplane mode saves battery . Turning down the brightness saves battery. A plug for your car lighter keeps it charged up. And Turning it off until you have an emergency saves battery.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I love my Pixel--started with the smaller Pixel 1, now have the smaller Pixel 3. I also enjoy its smaller footprint (handprint?) and the fact that it isn't an overpriced apple device. (Sorry, Jack Smiler ).

Yes, you mentioned your Pixel(s) earlier. This is why I wanted to look at them.

It should get here Tuesday.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Speaking as someone who is frequently in remote places for extended periods without the ability to keep a phone charged. Turning off wifi saves battery. Airplane mode saves battery . Turning down the brightness saves battery. A plug for your car lighter keeps it charged up. And Turning it off until you have an emergency saves battery.

What does airplane mode do exactly? Why does it save battery?

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
“Airplane mode” turns off all radio transmission. No cellular radio transmission, no Wi-Fi transmission, no Bluetooth transmission. As a matter of implementation, the cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth transmitters are turned off. So you save power by having parts of the phone turned off.

For extended time under the sun away from the power grid, consider a solar charger (e.g., Anker’s PowerPort Solar).

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Yes, you mentioned your Pixel(s) earlier. This is why I wanted to look at them.

It should get here Tuesday.

I hope you like it. Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know. Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
“Airplane mode” turns off all radio transmission. No cellular radio transmission, no Wi-Fi transmission, no Bluetooth transmission. As a matter of implementation, the cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth transmission are turned off. So you save power by having parts of the phone turned off.

For extended time under the sun away from the power grid, consider a solar charger (e.g., Anker’s PowerPort Solar).

Thanks. Smiler