well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Recent reporting from NYT and WaPo (Individual 1 warning)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent reporting from NYT and WaPo (Individual 1 warning)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
NYT, late Friday:

quote:
In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trump’s ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the president’s activities before and after Mr. Comey’s firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said....

If the president had fired Mr. Comey to stop the Russia investigation, the action would have been a national security issue because it naturally would have hurt the bureau’s effort to learn how Moscow interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Americans were involved, according to James A. Baker, who served as F.B.I. general counsel until late 2017. He privately testified in October before House investigators who were examining the F.B.I.’s handling of the full Russia inquiry.

“Not only would it be an issue of obstructing an investigation, but the obstruction itself would hurt our ability to figure out what the Russians had done, and that is what would be the threat to national security,” Mr. Baker said in his testimony, portions of which were read to The New York Times. Mr. Baker did not explicitly acknowledge the existence of the investigation of Mr. Trump to congressional investigators.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...ries&pgtype=Homepage

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
WaPo yesterday:

quote:
President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States’ main adversaries.

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.3143f7d15cdb

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I will admit, there have been so many theories and warnings of imminent demise that I have lost track of the details. I will say that I think Mueller's findings are our best hope of getting rid of Individual 1 before 2020.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I hope that whoever the Democratic nominee is, they refer to him as Putin's Puppet several times a day, and in at least every third answer at the Presidential debates. I want to watch his head explode.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I will admit, there have been so many theories and warnings of imminent demise that I have lost track of the details. I will say that I think Mueller's findings are our best hope of getting rid of Individual 1 before 2020.

It's hard to find the middle ground between reacting to all of it, or reacting to none of it.

The FBI starting an investigation into a sitting President qualifies as interesting news in my book.

I'm not sure what to make about keeping anything said at meetings with Putin under wraps.

I agree with you regarding Mueller's findings.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I hope that whoever the Democratic nominee is, they refer to him as Putin's Puppet several times a day, and in at least every third answer at the Presidential debates. I want to watch his head explode.

Puppet, yeah. **** holster probably isn’t fit for prime time.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
OTOH “Putin’s Poodle” has a solid ring to it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Okay, I actually have mixed feelings about this one, although policy and practice are against me. I think that if the leader of a country wants to have a private conversation with the leader of another country, they should be allowed to do so.

On the other hand, I do also see that it poses a national security risk and raises the specter of collusion if two leaders have a series of secret meetings with no accountability to the rest of the government.

The Declaration of Independence says that just power is derived from the consent of the governed. How can the governed give consent when they don't know what their "leaders" are doing?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what to make about keeping anything said at meetings with Putin under wraps.

Under wraps is normal. Secret from your own senior staff is bizarre, and many former administration officials (R & D) have said so.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Under wraps is normal. Secret from your own senior staff is bizarre, and many former administration officials (R & D) have said so.

Bingo.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
How can the governed give consent when they don't know what their "leaders" are doing?

We lost our "right to know" a long, long, time ago. Hell, are we still trying to make companies tell us what is in our food or in the crops that are grown for that food? Or did all of that die two years ago?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
How can the governed give consent when they don't know what their "leaders" are doing?

We lost our "right to know" a long, long, time ago. Hell, are we still trying to make companies tell us what is in our food or in the crops that are grown for that food? Or did all of that die two years ago?

That is dead, or at least dormant until some major changes occur.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post