well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I just like this story

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just like this story
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted

quote:

Bike Lane

Dear Diary:

One night I took a cab home from work. As I opened the door to get out, I heard a man scream, “Hey!” directly into my ear. He was on a bike trying to force his way through the narrow space between the cab and a parked car.

I pointed toward the other side of the street.

“Hey!” I yelled back. “Do you think you should be in the bike lane?”

“You’re supposed to look!” he screamed again, and then shot off.

I jumped out of the cab and shot off after him. For someone who was exhausted, I was running at a pretty good pace.

I was pleased and surprised when I caught up to him at an intersection where he had been forced to stop. I was ready to really dress him down about his complete lack of attention to New York City bike protocol.

I got right up next to him.

“Hey!” I screamed.

He looked startled.

“Yeah?” he replied.

“Are you all right?” I said. “You’re right. I should’ve looked.”

“No,” he said. “You’re right. I should’ve been in the bike lane.” Then he, motioned for me to come close.

“C’mere,” he said.

We hugged.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I’m having a really bad day.”

“I’m sorry you’re having a bad day,” I said. “I hope it gets better.”

“Thanks,” he said. “I hope you have a nice day, too.”

And then he rode off into the splash of car lights that swirl through the streets on a Manhattan night.

— Gail Dennison

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...rticle®ion=footer

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

I love reading the Metropolitan Diary entries.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
ThumbsUp

I love reading the Metropolitan Diary entries.

I do too.

But upon rereading this one, something just struck me making this kind of a downer. (Sorry)

This whole story's upness, hinges on an unexpected act of human togetherness - a hug between strangers - when even friends can't hug anymore.

Or get together for marriages or funerals (or...dying).

(The great failing of ZOOM)
Jeez, can't I find a single simple upbeat story? Is it me or the world? (Wondering when this was sent into the NYTimes.) Maybe I should read the "Good News Network" site in my inbox today. Bang Head

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post