well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Gas Stoves:They will have to take them from my cold dead hands
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Stoves:They will have to take them from my cold dead hands
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Once had a simmer plate that went on a gas burner. The pot went on that. It diffused some of the heat, making simmering easy.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I should get one of those disk thingies Chas mentioned, although the electric skillet makes the need less urgent. It just seems silly to me for a high-end appliance to need workarounds just to function.

WTG, I've never seen a gas burner that cycles on and off like that! It's like an automated version of my slide-the-pan-mostly-off-the-burner-for-a-while workaround that I use when I don't have another handy option.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it, I've had the exact same problem with a Coleman stove. Can't get it low enough to just keep something warm.

We had a potluck in the backyard once. I make a HUGE pot of chili. I set up the Coleman stove and turned it down until it almost went out and left the pot of chili on it. It was still way too hot.

I've been thinking about getting a slab of cast iron to do just what Chas is describing. Or use a cast iron griddle under the pot.

What I've really been thinking about is how to make a camping slow cooker. I have rigged up a pot within another pot with water in it to thaw things. A have a couple backpacking-size propane stoves. I'm thinking about how to rig up a dutch oven with a small enough propane burner -- but with the heat spread out enough that it doesn't just have one hot spot. I'm thinking PJ's chicken curry simmering for about six hours without having to periodically fuss with the heat source. That's what I'm thinking about.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Now that you mention it, I've had the exact same problem with a Coleman stove. Can't get it low enough to just keep something warm.

We had a potluck in the backyard once. I make a HUGE pot of chili. I set up the Coleman stove and turned it down until it almost went out and left the pot of chili on it. It was still way too hot.

I've been thinking about getting a slab of cast iron to do just what Chas is describing. Or use a cast iron griddle under the pot.

What I've really been thinking about is how to make a camping slow cooker. I have rigged up a pot within another pot with water in it to thaw things. A have a couple backpacking-size propane stoves. I'm thinking about how to rig up a dutch oven with a small enough propane burner -- but with the heat spread out enough that it doesn't just have one hot spot. I'm thinking PJ's chicken curry simmering for about six hours without having to periodically fuss with the heat source. That's what I'm thinking about.

Mmmmmmm, PJ’s chicken curry!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Heat diffuser plates

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post